Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oozing during temperature change causes poor deposition at start of layer

Posted by gklyne 
Oozing during temperature change causes poor deposition at start of layer
November 28, 2010 09:57AM
I'm fairly sure this problem has been well discussed, but I'm failing to uncover the discussions using Google. I'm in the process of printing a set of RepRap (Mendel) parts using a borrowed RapMan, but I think my question is applicable to RepRaps too. I'm printing with PLA, and using Skeinforge 22 to generate the GCode. (I tried a later version, but it was generating positioning codes that the RapMan couldn't handle.)

My problem is that when the printer pauses between layers for a temperature change, the nozzle partially drains, so when the next layer starts printing it takes a while for new plastic to be extruded.

I remember when seeing Adrian Bowyer's Mendel in action, his print job included a small "sacrificial wall" that was the first part of each layer to be printed, serving (I presume) to both replenish and wipe the nozzle. I'm assuming there's a Skeinforge trick for including this in the print job, but I've signally failed to discover what that might be. (Or maybe it's not a Skeinforge thing?)

Can anyone point me at discussion or notes about how to make this happen?

BTW, I recently updated to the latest RapMan firmware (4.10beta2) which has a fast move option, which accelerates and decelerates the head when moving between extruding runs. This one feature alone has dramatically improved the quality of print output by keeping the non-extruding time to a minimum and greatly reducing the consequent "stringing". When I get to that stage of my Mendel build, is there an equivalent option for the RepRap firmware?
emt
Re: Oozing during temperature change causes poor deposition at start of layer
November 28, 2010 11:07AM
Hi

With the Mendel you can use Skeinforge 5D code which has a retract function that sucks back the extruded plastic by an amount that you can control in parameters. Having said that I don't have to adjust temperature between layers when printing PLA.

Regards

Ian
Re: Oozing during temperature change causes poor deposition at start of layer
November 28, 2010 03:18PM
You can change the positioning data, by using multiply (using 1 x 1) and changing the midpoint of the print.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login