Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie questions

Posted by TimLuther 
Newbie questions
December 08, 2010 05:25AM
Hi,
I've been aware of (and excited by) reprap for a while now. I'd like to take the plunge and construct a repstrap so I can get more actively involved and hopefully make some useful contribution along the way.
Given the tools I have, the most realistic option for me would be to create wooden or MDF versions of the reprapable parts. I'm reasonably competent at basic electronics so I'd be able to put together a kit from Pololu, although I lack any means of making my own PCBs (kind of one of the reasons why I'd like a 3D printer) at the moment.
I have a large collection of motors and other bits and electrical bobs that I could possibly salvage for this - most notably some parts from an old printer which include a stepper motor, metal cogs and a drive belt.
The most useful and developed skill I have is programming. I haven't done a lot of microcontroller programming (not since University anyway) but I've spent the last 20 years developing 3D modelling software and that might prove useful.
The two resources most lacking are time and space (full time programming job, busy family, small house and cluttered shed)

So, if anybody has got any suggestions to help me get started, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tim.
Re: Newbie questions
December 08, 2010 06:37AM
I started with the electronics, it's the hardest part to put together.

Most PCB's and reprap plastics are available on ebay for a reasonable price. I would suggest to look there first..
December 08, 2010 08:22AM
Hi Tim

Sounds like you are at the same point I was a few months back. If you have already started collecting printer parts then I would highly recommend looking into the Mantis Machine as possible repstrap design. The only tools required are a saw and a drill and it really takes no time at all to put together. There are also a few good instructional videos on the site too.

If you pull apart enough printers/scaners (the older the better) then you will find that you have all the parts required to build a Mantis type repstrap apart from screws and plywood. I ended up using belts from printers instead of threaded rods which seems to work well.

As for the electronics, maybe look into getting an Arduino mega and a RAMPS. All up it was around $150 for the electronics for me. Best of all, its all contained in one compact package Getting acquainted with with writing simple sketches for the mega is also a big help when it comes time to upload and modify the reprap firmware.

Best of luck with your repstrap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
capolight.wordpress.com
December 08, 2010 09:34AM
Thanks for prompt answers guys, that's just the sort of information I was looking for. I'll root through my boxes of bits for candidate parts this weekend.

The mantis machine shown there is being used as a CNC machine, which is cool. Do many Reprap makers re-tool their devices to act as CNC machines or lathes?

Another newbie question: what is the relationship of Makerbot to Reprap. Is it a fork of the original project or something running in parallel?
December 08, 2010 09:47AM
The MakerBot wiki lineage page gives you most of the Makerbot to Reprap info that you are looking for.

Basically the MakerBot CupCake is based on the darwin design (with improvements) and made for mass production to create complete kits that could be sold. Zach designed the Gen3 electronics which many Mendels use (including mine).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 09:48AM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
December 08, 2010 11:09AM
Note: That lineage page no longer exists.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login