Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Toolchain Guide

Posted by nigel_mck 
RepRap Toolchain Guide
April 22, 2012 05:23PM
I've been part of the RepRap community for some months now and love the support and advice that happens every day on this forum. I feel so grateful for the support this forum has given me and would like to find a way to give back to the community and further the RepRap movement in my own way. I see many who are interested or in the process of building a RepRap ask about what software they should use. I decided to create a simple map of the RepRap toolchain (for software) to help beginners make sense of the myriad of software options that is out there. My design goal was not to give every last option or detail for installation, but to give a simple to follow grand over view to help point people in the right direction.

I myself am still a relative newb and would love to have the help of the community in this undertaking. I have created a rough version of the toolchain guide, but my explanations of each of the hosts and firmware options are very rudimentery. Please take a look and post any corrections or suggestions to any part of the map, as well as additions that I may have missed. I have not checked the guide for spelling or grammar as I expect to make lots of changes before I publish a final version. If any of the original creators of the software and firmware would like to completely rewrite the descriptions I would love to include them instead of my general descriptions.

Thanks!

Nigel

Check out my Build blog: [arduinoblog11.blogspot.com]
Re: RepRap Toolchain Guide
April 22, 2012 06:27PM
Nice. Thanks, I'm new to RepRap'ing this was a nice overview.

FYI - Teacup: 2nd line "regars" should be "regards"
April 23, 2012 08:54AM
Nice job.

Not that I use it now, but maybe Java host and 5D firmware should be listed?

[richrap.blogspot.com]
April 23, 2012 12:32PM
SebastienBailard
Hey folks! We've renamed the "FiveD on Arduino" Firmware to "Teacup" Firmware to distinguish it from "FiveD".

To my understanding the FiveD firmware was renamed when written for RAMPS so I just included Teacup.

I'm only including the most popular options as they are most supported by the community, hence no Java host.

Anyone want to write a brief description of .SCAD file type? I don't have the necessary knowledge of the format to accurately write about it.

Thanks guys.
April 23, 2012 03:18PM
Great work!

I think, Pronterface can have both Skeinforge and Slic3r integration as well. The RepRap Host Software isn't making the list?

Now if you could go one step further and show which controllers work with which firmwares and then which Host software work with which firmwares, it would be great for the absolute beginner. Good stuff though, wish I had this when I started.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login