Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about holes

Posted by glyn 
Questions about holes
April 25, 2012 04:22AM
A couple of questions about holes.

In item shown in the attached image I wanted to create a couple of small holes to drill and tap. I set the first layer to have 5 extra shells but when I started printing I realised I would need these extra shells in every layer to create a solid area around the holes. The thing is I don't really want these extra shells apart from around the holes so is there any way to create areas in a solid with varying density? The infill is set to 20% overall, gcode created with skeinforge.

Second question, the hole on the left was designed at 1mm diameter and is coming out solid, I knew this would happen and it is not a problem as it is going to be drilled but is this because my settings are faulty or just a limitation of the process?

Re: Questions about holes
April 25, 2012 04:30AM
You might want to read Nophead's comprehensive blog entry "Polyholes".

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 25, 2012 10:38AM
And to add material/more shells to only the hole, you can make a ring of tiny holes round it. Similar to this: [josefprusa.cz]

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
April 26, 2012 04:30PM
Thanks for replies, the polyholes article is very informative and explains point two nicely.
I tried the idea about small holes and I'm sure it would work but it is not straightforward see my first attempt attached.
The group on the left has a centre hole of radius 0.8mm surrounded by six holes of 0.5mm diameter. I'm not sure why SF did not put anything between the small holes as there is a 1.5mm gap between the perimeters.
The circles on the right are all .5mm apart from each other and quite separated when printed, I wondered if this might be a an easier way to get a solid area but just confirms that large holes print more accurately.

This is the stl file of the print
reinforcetest.stl

Update...
This looks like a good method to create solid areas, basically I just put pentagonal cavities 0.1mm wide spaced around the area required and 1.0mm apart.
STL reinforcetest2.stl

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 04:10AM by glyn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login