Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing straight onto unheated glass?

Posted by Ollie 
Printing straight onto unheated glass?
April 28, 2012 05:35PM
So I had an old scanner lying around just begging to be dismantled, and I finally had some free time to do just that. And I turned up trumps with some uncracked glass ^_^

But at the moment my printers running PLA onto blue painters tape, not a particularly nice bottom finish, but it does the job. So I was thinking, with exams coming round within the month, I haven't got enought time to make a full heated bed config and fit it.

So is it possible to just simply plop the glass straight onto the bed with a couple of bulldog clips and a quick wipe with some acetone? Would the PLA stick? I mean the heat has no real factor in stickiness does it? Just to stop warping of large parts? Which I'm not really doing at the moment :v)

Ollie.
Re: Printing straight onto unheated glass?
April 28, 2012 06:16PM
No, I'm sorry to say, PLA will not stick at all to cold glass. Try heating the end of a piece of filament with a lighter and press it onto the glass, and you'll see. You're better off using blue tape until you build a heated bed.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
April 28, 2012 06:44PM
Jus' tried it. Bummer :/

Gimme a month and I'll make one. Exams take priority unfortunately :/

Ollie
April 28, 2012 08:27PM
If you're looking for an alternative to blue tape without moving to a heated bed, try a piece of acrylic. I've had great results printing PLA directly on the surface.
April 29, 2012 04:59AM
Nudel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, I'm sorry to say, PLA will not stick at all to
> cold glass.

That's strange, mine sticks good enought for small parts.
April 29, 2012 05:25AM
miso Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > No, I'm sorry to say, PLA will not stick at all

> That's strange, mine sticks good enought for small parts.

Then you must be better at calibrating than me. If my heated bed drops below 40C everything snaps off if the head catch on the part ever so little. If I start the print with too low bed temperature, the beginning of the skirt doesn't stick to the platform and drags everything off at the first or second layer.

Perhaps sanding the glass, extruding at higher temperature, printing slower and using lift could help?

Not saying OP shouldn't try it if he wants, but in my experience it won't be more reliable than masking tape or acrylic.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
April 29, 2012 05:39AM
PLA sticks very well on a copier film. Rough side up. Just use double sided tape between glass and film.
April 29, 2012 04:40PM
I haven't been able to get PLA to stick to cold glass, but glass at 60 deg C works great!

The parts stick great and when cooled they crackle and pop right off with a nice glassy finish.

before I had a heated bed I was printing on wood with masking tape.
April 30, 2012 01:29AM
Very small parts will stick to glass because the PLA heats up the glass slightly locally. As soon as you get more than a few layers up though the locally heated glass cools and the part detaches. Sanded glass may work better unheated, I'm not sure.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 30, 2012 05:11AM
Try using spray adhesive smiling smiley
I had good results with cold surface using frosted glass and spray adhesive. Only problem is bottom is sticky smiling smiley But you can clean it.
April 30, 2012 05:27AM
has anyone tried floor wax with acrylic? I use it for heated prints with abs on glass for best results, but it does work for cold glass as well on small objects.

just poor some onto the glass, and wipe off excess. let it dry for 5 or ten minutes.

on large heated objects the parts pop off the bed when cooled, i think from the glass size changing.

, for parts that are not heated, just twist and part will come loose.
May 05, 2012 02:25AM
I think I remember a conversation about plain glass vs plate glass...

Either way, I use picture frame glass that was custom cut to my size and it sticks very well for small-med size parts (about the size of a prusa x-carriage)

Anything bigger and I need to use masking tape. The nice part of glass however, is the nice glossy surface it leaves on the part, so I try to when convenient.

eMAKER_widget.png
How much spray adhesive do you use vedran?
September 07, 2012 11:56PM
I'd suggest you look up "Heat deflection temperature" so you better understand the underlying problem, that is, before you waste your time discovering the hard way what the plastics industry has known for decades.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login