Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difference between Prusa and Original

Posted by theonlyteam 
Difference between Prusa and Original
August 04, 2011 12:42AM
Being completely new to this product, this may be a silly question, so forgive me if it is.

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between an Original Mendel and a Prusa Mendel and if there is a big difference, which one I should be attempting as a firs time build.

Is there a big difference in capability and are these the 2 that I should be considering or is there a beter option?

Thanks
Rob Davidowitz
robair@iafrica.com
Re: Difference between Prusa and Original
August 04, 2011 02:57AM
Difference between Darwin and Mendel

Comparison between Mendel and Prusa

ISTAR Scope Club
August 04, 2011 03:19AM
The Prusa Mendel is a 'rationalised' (if thats the right term) version of the original Mendel, with less parts, while working in an almost identical way. Haven't built a standard Mendel, but with more parts, I would imagine it being far more work.

I understand there to be not much difference in resulting print quality, although alot of this comes down to fine tuning anyway, and so is more dependant on your tenacity in calibrating, than on which Mendel you have.

One of the most obvious differences is the Z-axis, for which the Prusa uses an extra motor. This reduces the need for the z-assembly, on the original Mendel, for transfering torque from a single stepper to the two threaded rods which control the z-axis. Instead the Prusa uses a motor for each of the two z-axis threaded rods, which is fair less complicated (including for firmware calculations). A potential drawback from this, is that the two rods of the z-axis can get out of sync if you bump one, but from the look of it, this may still be possible on the Mendel, and probably harder rectify (I have no experience of this, just assuming). Also with the motors on the top, the full weight of the z-axis threaded rods and x carriage pull down on the motor shafts, as opposed to the mendel frame/608 bearings (which I hear is a problem anyway), although other than some coupling issues is apparently ok.

Using less parts, the Prusa will also cost less in printed parts (a quick check on ebay would confirm), and with less bearings, and nuts and bolts, should still be less for the non-printed parts with the extra cost of the additional z-axis motor.

For first time build, (between these two designs) I'd say Prusa, and possibly also for 2nd and 3rd smiling smiley.

Peter
August 04, 2011 03:55AM
The original or "Sells" Mendel is made entirely of nuts and bolts. This makes it much more difficult to assemble than a Prusa Mendel.
August 04, 2011 04:06AM
If you have all the preparation work done, thick sheet, flags, threaded bar and smooth bar then you can assemble the Prusa in about two hours. For the Mendel you need two days (depends on how many hours per day you are willing to work).

I personally prefer the bearings over the PLA sliders. I have one Mendel and am building a second one...

The two z motors vs belt I say are about the same, in any case not a negative for the Prusa.

All the other changes are in favor of the Prusa.
I especially like the simplified bar clamps, thinner vertices and y-motor holder.
Also how the x-belt is attached is an improvement.

You will be in the calibration stage quicker with the Prusa, the print quality should be about the same.

USE SKEINFORGE!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login