Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

beeswax

Posted by bloob 
beeswax
May 11, 2012 07:50PM
Hi,

I’m interested in printing with beeswax; can anyone tell me if it’s possible with the RepRap?
Can you give me some advice?

Thanks,

Raul
Re: beeswax
May 12, 2012 02:34AM
Troll?
May 12, 2012 03:02AM
I saw a youtube vid of printing chocolate, so beeswax might be possibe.... I'd be concerned that its too fluid when melted though & you might just end up with a puddle! If you're going for wax there are many other wax's that are cheaper and have a higher viscosity when melted which would make them more suitable for printing,.. perhaps combining a wax with a granular filling/thickening agent (cornflour maybe) would fix any "puddling" issues?
May 12, 2012 06:49AM
Thanks for the tip, I really need to work with pure beeswax - is it possible to have a very constant temperature, living the wax with a precise viscosity? Has anyone experience with this?
May 12, 2012 07:27AM
Are you wanting to print it for lost wax casting? In which case you can just use PLA as it can be melted out of the mould just as well.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 12, 2012 09:27AM
Yes, I just printed a bunch of engine parts for Calum Douglas for his 600cc racing engine.
He has already offered to help others with how to cast parts from PLA. See Burnouts topic.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 13, 2012 06:59PM
Thanks Nophead, I don't know if you ansered Bloob's question. But I have certainly been searching for a way to print for lost wax casting.
I didn't know if PLA would burn out. Now I just have to make another print head, and order some PLA.
May 14, 2012 07:37AM
bloob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the tip, I really need to work with
> pure beeswax - is it possible to have a very
> constant temperature, living the wax with a
> precise viscosity? Has anyone experience with
> this?

I designed this Chocolate Extruder which has hot air circulation to keep the chocolate at a constant temperature. What's the melting point of the wax? If it's in suitable range for ABS, this extruder should be able to print it.
VDX
May 14, 2012 07:49AM
... you can print with a paste-dispenser instead of an extruder.

With heating the dispenser above the melting temperature you can dispense the wax and it will solidify on the colder surface.

For best results you need a piston driven dispenser - see the dispensers and samples of the fab@home-project: [fabathome.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login