Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Puppy Linux Live Boot Disc with Reprap Software

Posted by Lucastar 
Puppy Linux Live Boot Disc with Reprap Software
May 12, 2012 09:18AM
A while ago, I used a live Linux boot disc called Puppy Linux, which ran really quickly on older hardware. The whole operating system was 100meg - supplied as a ready to burn iso.

It had a fantastic option to allow you to modify the settings, install programs and then burn your entire desktop environment (with along with installed programs) again as a new live boot disc.

I believe that The Reprap community would benefit from such a disc.

I guess it would need python setting up, and then the usual linux variants of the reprap operating progams. Pronterface/Skeinforge etc

Has anyone created such a thing with settings for a sanguinololu prusa? or gen6?

I would have a go, but I'm really not good a linux setup!
Re: Puppy Linux Live Boot Disc with Reprap Software
May 12, 2012 09:21AM
I love the idea of being totally open source with a recycled computer!
May 12, 2012 10:01AM
I believe I've seen something with the same idea. The problem is the software is updated and changed so rapidly, it really doesn't lend itself well to be on a read only medium.

What about using a usb stick instead of a boot CD?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
May 12, 2012 10:38AM
Hi Nudel
usb would be fine - I have used puppy on a usb, and a CF card as well as a CD - problem with USB is that some older machines dont usb boot.

I have got around this with plop boot manager, but I have to have that on a CD - so might as well just have REPRAPuppy (?) on a CD as a basic setup. - lets face it CDs are cheap enough.

(the remastering software in puppy allows USB, HDD,CF, or CD/DVD so it would be easy to install it in whatever format that the user required after burning the iso)

My biggest difficulty is loading the software onto linux systems such as Puppy - I see that Slicr is available for linux already - but I doubt I have the skill to get it running without a .pet file or another Puppy compatible auto installer format.

I'm not sure that it is too much effort to burn up a new cd from time-to-time - other mods/updates are kept on your hard drive in the meantime until you make a new live disc.
I appreciate that it would be difficult to keep a 'cutting-edge' disc ready for download at all times, but it must be possible to have a 'get you up and running' live boot disc which works on just about any machine... the iso file held on the website could be updated a couple of times a year (eg)

Personally, I'd like to see Pronterface, Skeinforge/sfact, Slic3r and maybe Blender (configured for stl output) or some other 3d manipulation software... wrapped up in the Xfce desktop front end....
May 12, 2012 02:22PM
I love the idea and it is on my todo list (which is really long). Also running the binary version of slic3r on puppy should not require any installations. Just download it and run it.

The easiest way to make a live OS for this is to install which ever Debian based Linux distro you would like to use and then install all the software you want on it. Then use Remastersys to create a live copy of the installed OS for distribution. Its really easy and almost anyone could do it.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 12, 2012 07:49PM
Oh! You make that sound so easy!

Would be nice with a decent reprap desktop image

What would anyone else like to see on the disc?
May 18, 2012 05:29AM
This is not fair... After reading this thread I tried puppy linux, I love it, I have spent hours playing with it,
when I have a stack of other things I should be doing, its running at blistering speed on an old laptop
I literally took from the scrap bin.

Random Precision
May 18, 2012 06:43AM
@Johnrpm - Puppy is very fast - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I've used it on all sorts of machines from pentium233 up.

I couldn't get the latest 'lucid' debian version to run on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite pro A200),which is odd, because I've never had any problems with Puppy before.

The slackware (slacko) version ran fine - which one did you use?

Did you get any reprap software up and running on it? If you did, I'd love a link to your new iso!
May 19, 2012 06:24AM
I have tried both, lucid and slacko, and they both work on this satellite pro spa40, I have not gone beyond exploring
so far, but I am impressed with the speed and lack of bloat, everything just works, its put the fun back into computing.

I am under strick orders to get the patio done, so do not have time to experiment much at present.

Random Precision
May 19, 2012 11:53AM
@Johnrpm - I understand... strict orders are... strict orders!!! - and a patio is very useful for the summer!

anyway,
I just posted this on the puppylinux forum...

sorry if it doesn't cover every board, and piece of software, i just typed as it came into my head...

of course, feel free to add anything... smiling smiley
May 19, 2012 06:41PM
I have installed python and it seems to run ok, and have downloaded skeinforge, but I am in the same
position as you, I have never really got my head around the linux file system, and when things go wrong I struggle to find the answer, then get frustrated and go back to windows to get the job done.

I did notice blender in amongst the packages and ubuntu has the arduino ide, so someone with a brain may not find it to difficult, good idea to ask on the puppy forum, I shall follow it to see if I can learn how its done.

had a quick read about bones, seems its for creating packages ????.

Random Precision
May 21, 2012 05:19AM
@Johnrpm, which version did you install Python on?
May 22, 2012 03:04PM
The latest lucid,its in the package manager, I prefer lucid to slacko but would change at the drop of a hat if needs be.

Random Precision
May 23, 2012 07:21AM
Oh.... Its so frustrating - I cant get any Lucid version working... Wary/Slacko both work fine, but are not compatible with Ubuntu..
Never had a puppy problem before sad smiley

Back to the puppy forum for me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 08:41AM by Lucastar.
May 23, 2012 10:58AM
Yes, it may be worth asking on the forum, my just be a minor issue?.

Random Precision
May 24, 2012 06:49AM
Well, It seems that RepRapup v0.001 exists now - thanks to Kooliepup on the Puppy Linux forum.

It is based on Puppy Slacko, and so far, consists of

Python
Java
JMF
OpenSCad
Blender
RepligatorG
ArtOfIllusion
Arduino-1.0
AcrobatReader for 3D PDFs

Slight problem is that Kooliepup is on a 5gb limited internet connection, so wont be able to do much more, or upload the iso until next month.

Take a look at a screenshot here

Getting closer....
May 24, 2012 07:23AM
Lucastar, as you point out in the Puppy thread that configuration of software is probably not going to suit most people. The programs also need to be downloaded and updated through GIT (if they are not already), to keep up to date.
It is essential to have Printrun and Slic3r, perhaps you can ask Kooliepup to submit a how-to so we can publish are own distros.

Good work smiling smiley
May 24, 2012 01:05PM
I got slic3r to work in puppy very easily, so that shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

I installed Printrun on my version, but I couldn't get it to talk to python - that is more to do with my lack of knowledge than the software though.

I use Sfact and Printrun personally, so would love to see those running.

As for updating through GIT, I don't really understand the GIt myself - although I've never really looked at it more than just downloading.

Creating a distro through puppy is fairly easy - there is a 'remaster this disc' option, with a full set of instructions. I did that several years ago - you can even alter simple thing such as the desktop wallpaper, and remaster. I see great things ahead!!!

Getting Closer!!!

Kooliepup (puppy linux forum) doesnt have a reprap yet. Does anyone know a decent supplier of machines near Victoria in Australia?
May 24, 2012 05:05PM
Its just dawned on me that maybe I should consult the forum with a new topic,

Which Software do you use to run your Reprap?

But I see that this one has been brewing for a couple of weeks...

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,126490,126490#msg-126490

So I will add my piece, and bump it up again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 05:47PM by Lucastar.
May 24, 2012 05:44PM
That didn't got too well.

I typed

"I use Pronterface with Sfact. with my gen6
I have found that I don't always like the way slic3r moves between objects.
Sfact / Skeinforge seem to produce models a bit 'cleaner' imo.
Any cad tweaks are done in Rhino."

and got hit with an angry pink box!

Anti-spam software on this server has detected that your message might be spam. Therefore, your message has been blocked. If your message was not a spam message, then we apologize for the inconvenience that blocking it might have caused. If you keep having problems with your messages being blocked, please contact the site administrator for help.

Note: If you have disabled JavaScript within your browser or if your browser does not support JavaScript at all, then this might be the reason why your message was blocked. Some of the anti-spam measures are dependent on JavaScript.

Hey ho...
The topic made it clear anyway...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 05:45PM by Lucastar.
May 29, 2012 07:49AM
Ok, So Kooliepup has installed Slic3r - getting closer... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=55914

Just need kliment's Printun now... Iso is (hopefully) coming to try in about a couple of weeks...

I would like to add Prusa's calibration script to the final iso. (without the need for an internet connection)

I would also like to add basic instructions for configuring/viewing com ports, and baudrate etc in the os; and instructions for uploading firmware to the various boards.

Does anyone have any suggestions to other info/scripts that they think should be included?

Cheers
July 10, 2012 04:45PM
I read on barry's blog that he is doing a puppy for the raberry Pi

Random Precision
July 11, 2012 10:53PM
Any update on this project?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login