Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Gen6 board does not Plug and Play

Posted by Cosmic1953 
New Gen6 board does not Plug and Play
January 01, 2012 11:22PM
I am hoping someone here will have an idea or two on how to see if my new Gen6 board is DOA, or has some fixable problem.

When I power up the Gen6 board, two LED lights come on. I plug in my laptop to the board via a USB A>B cable. Windows XP does not detect the board. I tried another XP machine... same problem. I suppose it could be the cable (I don't have another one handy), but that seems like a long shot.

I tried pressing the reset button with no luck.

Any ideas?
Re: New Gen6 board does not Plug and Play
January 02, 2012 03:09AM
You need to install the FTDI USB drivers before anyhting will happen, XP doesn't do it from default unfortunately once you have done that you should be away

January 02, 2012 12:30PM
@ NelsonRap

Thanks for the tip, Nelson!

I actually had already done that before I ran into the Plug and Play problem.... turned out it was the cable, which is usually a long shot.

But after I posted this thread last night, I also sent an email to my Orca vendor (www.makemendel.com), and within a minute, got an email response from them telling me that they were getting reports from other customers where it was determined that there was a bad batch of USB A>B cables. I patched together a A>B USB cable, and then Windows did it's 'New Hardware Found' process.

That did not totally solve the problem.

Fortunately, I also got a Skype request from the vendor, and through Skype they helped me solve the second part of problem, which turned out to be a Windows USB --> COM port problem. (RepSnapper can only access up to COM9, and I did not have any open COM ports in that range.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login