Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Running an Old PDA as user interface

Posted by MrJohn 
Running an Old PDA as user interface
January 17, 2012 05:44AM
I have an old HP ipaq PDA that is maybe 2 years old. Is there a way to install some host software on it so that I can run the Reprap straight from that? It has an SD card reader and a mini usb connection.

I was thinking that I could install a small linux distro on it and run pronterface from it. From my understanding, the host software just sends the gcode to the board so it doesn't have to be that powerful. I can do all the slicing on my laptop and copy it to an SD card and load that SD card to the PDA mounted to the machine.

Anyone have any insight on this?
Re: Running an Old PDA as user interface
January 17, 2012 06:15AM
The German Wikipedia iPAQ page says:
German Wikipedia
Stand 2010 benutzen alle Modelle einen Mini-USB Anschluss, lediglich die iPAQ 200 Serie hat einen zweiten, erweiterten Anschluss der u.a. eine USB-Host Schnittstelle enthält.

which translated says:
Translation
As of 2010 all models have a Mini-USB connector, only the iPAQ 200 series has a 2nd USB connector that supports the USB Host mode.

If you have an iPAQ 200 series then it should be possible, otherwise NOT!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 17, 2012 06:46AM
purchase a bt to serial cable, program in c++ or vb with modules that allow you to program for pda, [mobile.eric-poncet.com]

there also is ability to use python on pda here [www.awaretek.com]

you will need to find a serial comm module and do some playing around. pda will see serial comm after it is detected as bt device.

you will need to read files from sd card in unit, and place strings over serial. use chr$(13) for end of line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 06:48AM by jamesdanielv.
January 17, 2012 02:10PM
I have been attempting this using a couple of Sharp Zaurus PDAs that I have. They are running pdaXrom, which is a Linux distro for various ARM-based devices.

If memory serves me, the last issue I had was in trying to compile wxPython. I never got past that one. Strange that this message should come up today. I just brought the PDAs into the office to use as decorations on my desk :^)

Guess I will try and pick up where I left off.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login