Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

center on printbed

Posted by glrra19 
center on printbed
January 18, 2012 04:28PM
ok, when i convert a stl to gcode sometimes my print is barely touching the corner of my print area
how can i move it over a little? or just make center themselves?
skineforge41
pronterface
im tryng to print the ar15 grip on thingiverse
Re: center on printbed
January 18, 2012 05:46PM
Hi glrra,

I had a similar issue and solved it as below, this may not be the right way but it worked for me.

Within the alterations directory of the SkeinForge profile you are using there should be a start.gcode file. This file adds steps to the start of any gcode you create irrespective of the stl. In my start.gcode for all of my profiles I now have the following gcode to center on the Build Platform (BP) in the homing section.

G28
G1 Z2
G0 X102.5 Y77.5
G28 Z0
G92 X0 Y0 Z0

Explaination
The initial G28 homes all axis.
G1 Z2 moves the extruder up 2mm.
G0 X102.5 Y77.5 moves to the middle of my BP (you will need to replace the 102.2 and 77.5 with the middle coordinates of your BP).
G28 Z0 then homes the Z axis after the move to the middle of your BP at 2mm high.
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 repositions the origin to the middle of your platform i.e. where the extruder now is.

One last thing. The SF profile directory may be in either C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\.replicatorg or in \skeinforge_application\prefs under the skeinforge 41 directory or somewhere else if you are not using Windows.

All the Best
January 18, 2012 06:27PM
Or you can turn on the multiply module. Its intended to create multiple copies of an object, but it can be set to create a 1*1 array of objects centred on 100,100.
January 18, 2012 08:40PM
wow thanks! u guys r both awesome!
January 18, 2012 09:24PM
Helpful hint for start files, add an E0 to the end of that G92 string. In case you did any test extrusions this will reset the extruder also.
January 19, 2012 03:59PM
Glrra19,

No problem this was my first opportunity to give something back. I'm glad i helped.

Grog,

Thanks for the additional E0. this explains some odd behaviour.

Thanks

Sk1p_Rat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login