Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lots of Serial Errors

Posted by Cosmic1953 
Lots of Serial Errors
February 04, 2012 03:14PM
I get lots of serial port errors during prints. I am using Slic3r to generate the GCODE, then pronterface to run the printer. I have an Orca v0.3 with Gen6/Marlin. These errors do not seem to affect the print... I hope. Are they normal? Here is a sample:

Resend:14690
Serial Error: checksum mismatch
Resend:14691
Serial Error:Recieved a LineNr code without a Checksum code or Checksum without LineNr
Resend:14691
Resend:14693
Serial Error:Recieved a LineNr code without a Checksum code or Checksum without LineNr
Resend:14697
Resend:14699
Serial Error: LineNr is not the last lineNr+1
Resend:14702
Resend:14703
Resend:14704
Resend:14706

Since I started using Slic3r, I am getting cleaner prints... however it seems that after an hour of printing, there is a random error that causes my printer to try to jump past xmax or ymax (has not happened on z axis - yet), and I have to rapidly turn off the printer before it destroys itself. I am thinking all the serial errors could be the cause(?)

Thanks,
David

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
Re: Lots of Serial Errors
February 04, 2012 09:30PM
I had serial errors with my Gen6 board and Marlin for a while. I am pretty sure it is one of 2 things: 1) Electrical noise. I rearranged all my motor wires and I keep my power lines away from USB. 2) Bad STL's or just bad slicing. Not really sure but it seems that I have the worst issues (serial errors, mid print resets, etc) when Netfabb also says that the STL had issues. I run everything through Netfabb now before slicing and I have had less serial issues.

It depends on the revision of the board but my version of the Gen6 is very noisy on the 5V line and I have yet to do the fix that is documented (it is very easy...I just don't have the value of capacitor on hand).

Another thing to remember on Marlin is that sometimes the default acceleration is too high. I had to slow mine down a lot to get rid of mid-print skipped steps. (Not the max acceleration but the "float accel" value...the version of Marlin I am using is a bit old though so the value may be named something else).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
Re: Lots of Serial Errors
February 05, 2012 12:41AM
Thanks for the insights, Cecil. I have become suspicious of the slicer now too... I saw one of the lines travel off the part for no apparent reason. My STL tests 'water tight', but maybe there can be other errors(?)

I am going to look up the noise suppression trick... I saw it a while back, but dd not have my own renter at the time.

Love it up there in northern Idaho!

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login