Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shifthing layer by layer. What went wrong?

Posted by Kaage 
Shifthing layer by layer. What went wrong?
March 08, 2012 06:26AM
Hi,

I guess I'm pretty close to get my first good 3D printing results. However, my problem is that printing is shifting layer by layer in x-axis direction. I attached image of my printing of letter A.

As you can see every layer moves 5.3 mm to right (Positive direction X axis). What might be causing this?

Image of my printing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 06:27AM by Kaage.
VDX
Re: Shifthing layer by layer. What went wrong?
March 08, 2012 06:31AM
... most common: skipping steps (current settings, driver-overheating, friction, ...) or loose pulley on the motor axis ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 08, 2012 07:26AM
Thanks for your answer. I investigated issue bit more and I found one possible cause for this.

It seems that my X axis belt is skipping teeths. So stepper motor is not skipping steps but belt is.

This is how it happens. In this first video you can see that belt is running nicely without any skips. But when I set it to the same position as in Prusa Mendel when it is assembled it starts to skip teeths: see video.

It doesn't matter how tight belt is assembled it still skip teeths. I wonder how can I fix that?
VDX
March 08, 2012 07:52AM
.... from the videos i can see, that you use really thick belts - here the pulleys should have much bigger diameter.

You should find thinner belts with more elasticity and maybe better fitting pulleys too ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 07:54AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 08, 2012 02:37PM
If you pause the second video part way in, it looks very much like the belt is the wrong pitch for the pulley.
March 08, 2012 02:43PM
i solved the same problem this morning. grub screw had backed out of the x-axis pulley.
March 09, 2012 08:48AM
Ericbrooke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you pause the second video part way in, it
> looks very much like the belt is the wrong pitch
> for the pulley.

Yes but it is exactly same belt and pulley in the first video. Only difference is that belt is going straight in the first video.

Is there any way to measure if pitch is right or not?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login