Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hints for better overhangs

Posted by destroyer2012 
Hints for better overhangs
March 16, 2012 03:56PM
Hey guys, I recently got my Mcwire-based repstrap printing and I am having a bit of trouble producing overhangs. When printing the whistle [www.thingiverse.com] It comes out almost perfectly except the "cable tie loop" at the back does not print at all. When laying down the first layer containing the overhang part, it curls up and subsequent overhanging layers dont have anything to print on. Besides the whistle I've been noticing this problem on other prints.

Any suggestions on how to make this go away?
Re: Hints for better overhangs
March 16, 2012 04:33PM
Perhaps you are stretching the plastic too much. I.e. printing too fine for your nozzle size.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 16, 2012 05:15PM
I hope not.. in fresh air I get extrusion size of 0.8 mm; when squished I get 1.12 mm, printing 0.4 mm layers. That doesn't seem like it's too squished does it? You think I should increase my layer thickness? My layer adhesion is already not perfect on smaller pieces :/
March 16, 2012 05:40PM
Are you using a fan? That helped me immensely with overhangs and bridges.
March 16, 2012 05:57PM
@gtg252b you keep your fan on all the time? I have it set to only turn on for small layers and bridges (cool setting in slic3r). I've had issues where layers after the fan turns on delaminate from layers before. I guess if the fan is on all the time then that wouldn't be a problem.

Will post results after I get a chance to try it. I Just hope it doesn't cool the lower layers so much that they come off the bed.
March 19, 2012 01:01AM
Update: Turned fan on 60% all the time, now overhangs are perfect, and no delamination. Thanks for the hints guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login