Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gen six usb not recognized

Posted by banthafodder7400 
gen six usb not recognized
March 31, 2012 10:10AM
I have been trying for hours to get my gen six to be recognized by the computer. When I open device manager I get the yellow exclamation point thingy on one usb drive, it is showing that even after i have unplugged the board. When I try to install the driver it appears to go but then nothing happens. On the FTDI chip website guide for Windows 7 section 5.4 says "driver will not install on windows 7x64" and then talks about something.... I am really stumped and getting frustrated. Any help or anything I can tell you to help out?

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
Re: gen six usb not recognized
March 31, 2012 01:25PM
I'm using 2.8.14 on Windows 7 64-bit for the gen 6 deluxe but I was also using for the regular gen 6 board before I upgraded. It can be downloaded here [www.ftdichip.com]
There is a set up executable on the right of the list or you can download the drivers in a zip file.
You might have to right click on the port, uninstall it and then run the ftdi setup.
March 31, 2012 04:13PM
nope, thats what I had been trying... I tried again, right clicked, uninstalled, downloaded file, opened "CDM20814_setup" and shows the little black dos screen, says it completes.... i open device manager and it shows the same USB wish no driver... ive tried various ports on the computer all the same.. i tried right clicking and saying run as admin... no change.

Ryan
March 31, 2012 05:21PM
just tried in safe mode everything all over again, no dice. I'm so confused.

Ryan
March 31, 2012 06:36PM
I remember something about having to run that installer twice in a row to get it to work.
April 01, 2012 11:49AM
Got it!!! the problem was really kinda stupid.... I tried using my wifes laptop instead of my computer and It wasnt working either... so I figure... lets turn the power supply on! haha I was told I didnt have to have it on to do the driver stuff since it would get enough power from the usb port for the chips to work(not for the motors to work though)... well once i turned it on the computer picked it right up...

and the yellow exclamation was actually some other usb device on my computer thats not working, so it kinda masked the fact that this one wasnt working

Stupid mistake but now I can start doing something! smiling bouncing smiley

Ryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login