Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making the switch from 0.5 to 0.35 nozzle.

Posted by Entropy 
Making the switch from 0.5 to 0.35 nozzle.
April 28, 2012 03:21PM
In the pursuit of increased resolution, I have acquired a smaller 0.35mm Nozzle J-Head to replace my current 0.5mm. I was wondering what adjustments I need to make in order to have a smooth transition. (Other than adjusting the value in my slicing software.) I imagine I need a lower layer height, what is a good one for this size. Any other tips/suggestions? Thanks!
Re: Making the switch from 0.5 to 0.35 nozzle.
April 28, 2012 04:15PM
If using slic3r you will just need to adjust your nozzle diameter and use a layer height of 0.2 - 0.25mm and be sure to leave your width over thickness set to auto in the advanced tab.

If using skeinforge switch to slic3r.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 28, 2012 10:25PM
Like Sublime has suggested a layer height chance is needed, I find the Jhead works best with 0.175-0.20mm layer heights. Although the auto setting in slicer is good for the width over thickness ratio I prefer to manually set it to anywhere between 0.4-0.5mm depending on what I am printing so I can tweak the settings to the prints (if 1mm is the part width 0.5mm would pass it 2x with no gap)

April 29, 2012 04:33PM
I'm using skeinforge and I changed the following settings:

Carve -
Edge width over height 1.8 -> ~1.4
layer height 0.4 -> ~0.3

Inset -
Infill width over thickness 1.8 -> ~1.4

I also had to re-calibrate the e-steps/mm or flowrate with the increased accuracy.
April 29, 2012 05:00PM
aplavins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm using skeinforge and I changed the following
> settings:
>
> Carve -
> Edge width over height 1.8 -> ~1.4
> layer height 0.4 -> ~0.3
>
> Inset -
> Infill width over thickness 1.8 -> ~1.4
>
> I also had to re-calibrate the e-steps/mm or
> flowrate with the increased accuracy.

Ultimately you want to keep the extruded width about the same as the nozzle diameter. And we always want a w/t of at least 1.5. Alpalvins did not decrease their layer height so w/t of 1.4 does keep the width 0.35 but does not compress the layers enough for good adhesion and breaks the minimum of 1.5 w/t rule.

If you want a layer of 0.2 and are using a 0.35 nozzle you want a width over thickness of 1.8 . Which works out like this 0.2 layer times 1.8 w/t = 0.36 wide path. If you used alplavins 1.4 you would be trying to extrude a path 0.28 wide out of a hole 0.35 wide which will give a poor surface finish.

I used skeinforge from version 35 to 44 and then Slic3r started producing way better gcode (as long as your machine is well calibrated) and now I never use skeinforge. Skeinforge allows you to compansate for poor machine build quality and calibration through all of its settings being exposed to the user, but also allows the user to completely mess it up.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 29, 2012 05:11PM
old nozzle diameter = 0.4
old layer height = 0.4
old w/t = 1.8

extrusion width = 0.72

new nozzle diameter = 0.3
new layer height = 0.3
new w/t = 1.4

extrusion width = 0.42

sorry about the confusion
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login