Well, it's past April 30th so the Latest Stable Build has been finalized :

Frame- Prusa Mendel v1
Electronics- Ramps
Firmware- Marlin
Extruder Hot end- J Head
Extruder Cold end- Wades Geared Extruder
Interface Software- Printrun
Slicing Software- Slic3r

If you haven't seen the other topic in the dev forum (the one where we talked a lot about semantics) the LSB is meant to be a mile marker for the wiki, updated yearly, so that we can make a more clear and uniform set of build instructions. These are not cutting-edge parts, mostly, but instead parts that are widely adopted, so that there are many users that can contribute to the wiki.

Many newbies are stymied by the outdated info on the wiki. Most of the useful info is spread around in these forums and on personal blogs. It's no wonder people are constantly asking the same questions regarding their new builds again and again in the forums

So, If you built or use any of these or similar components, please look over these wiki pages once and a while and add what you can. If you've never edited a wiki before, don't be afraid of stepping on someone's toes. You're free to edit any page that isn't locked. And if you need help formatting, look here.

If you think this set of parts sucks, don't worry! There will be a new LSB for 2013! We'll probably start gathering input around October (got started a bit late this year). So far the only requirements are that the part has an existing page on the wiki before finilazation, everything is open source, and software be cross-platform. Components should also be old enough to be widely adopted so there's plenty of people out there to edit the wiki, but not so old that you can't keep up with current development.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 11:40AM by Buback.
Re: Latest Stable Build 2012
May 02, 2012 12:26PM
This is great! I wish I had seen this when I started my Prusa build last year...the biggest problem is finding one place with the current 'known good' setup...even if it's just a list of links...still incredibly helpful to those just starting.

[johnbiehler.com]
May 02, 2012 09:45PM
Buback, I have to applaud your willingness to stick with this and get it done. I know it wasn't easy getting even close to consensus among such a disparate group of opinionated people, but I think this will definitely help the new people who are trying to figure out where to start, especially now that there are such a wide assortment of printers to choose from. Good job!
May 03, 2012 02:02PM
Nice, And well done. You can't really go wrong using that list as a starting point, hopefully in the months to come this will be seen by many as a good reference for new reprappers and an ongoing guide for the future. I believe it can only do good for RepRap to have some sort of sensible guidance on a proven set of parts and tool-chain for new builders. It's all too easy for hardened developers to assume this is already common knowledge.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
May 03, 2012 03:03PM
richrap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice, And well done. You can't really go wrong
> using that list as a starting point, hopefully in
> the months to come this will be seen by many as a
> good reference for new reprappers and an ongoing
> guide for the future. I believe it can only do
> good for RepRap to have some sort of sensible
> guidance on a proven set of parts and tool-chain
> for new builders. It's all too easy for hardened
> developers to assume this is already common
> knowledge.

I can't agree with you more richrap. Most of the people I help get into RepRep, their first 30 questions are pretty much related to this. "Where do I start?" is the biggest thing about getting over that intimidation factor of so many options and choices to be made.

Good work buback. I give you an internet high five.

bdc
~Stay Calm Out There
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login