Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d4d Challenge- $100k Prize!

Posted by williamH 
3d4d Challenge- $100k Prize!
May 03, 2012 12:40PM
Take part in the 3d4d Challenge and you could win $100k for your 3d project!

techfortrade is a UK registered charity with a mission to reduce poverty in the developing world by improving income opportunities for those at the bottom of the pyramid, using technology as an enabler to stimulate trade.

We believe that recent developments in 3D scanning and printing technologies, coupled with increased mobile and internet penetration, could create potentially transformational opportunities for some of the world’s poorest communities.

Now we’re on a mission to find that game changing idea; the one that could use 3D design and printing technologies to make a real difference to the lives of thousands of people in the developing world.

Could you come up with that idea? If so you could win the chance to implement your idea by securing the $100,000 prize in our international challenge.

Interested? Well here’s how you can take part
Re: 3d4d Challenge- $100k Prize!
May 04, 2012 06:19AM
Isn't this one of the main ideas behind RepRap? Self replicating printers tailored to the hardware that can be sourced locally is the way to go, not selling premade printers to the relatively wealthy members of the developing world.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
May 04, 2012 08:49AM
If you didnt watch the video do so. This is about bringing small manufacturing to communities in 3rd world countries so they can make things that are necessities that they have no access to. This is not to make affordable printers available to more people to make things at home that you most likely have access to purchasing somewhere, or to make things that are just "cool."

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
May 04, 2012 09:31AM
@banthafodder7400:

I did watch the video, and as you noticed there was a RepRap-derivative non-replicable printer highly feature printing childrens toys, how is that a basic necessity?

Your logic doesn't make sense, as one would think being as cheap as possible would be a main goal when we're talking about 3rd world countries. Everything you can do with any commercial home 3D printer, you can do with a RepRap, so why not go for the cheapest option?

Think about what could happen if one introduced RepRap in large scale. It would spread like wildfire, and have a much, much higher impact than giving commercial 3D printers to a select few.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
May 04, 2012 11:16AM
This is a noble idea, but study the OLPC project and learn what went wrong with it. If you've never been to a 2nd or 3rd world country, go there. 3D printing is great, but it's an amazing luxury even in a 1st world country. People in developing or underdeveloped countries need stable and safe supplies of food and water, reliable electricity and sanitation, less corrupt governance, more modern transportation infrastructures, and safer, less expensive construction methods before 3D printing is even imaginable, let alone sustainable.

Think of development like a pyramid. To get the higher blocks, you need to have all the lower ones already in place. 3D printing is pretty darn close to the top, I'd say.
May 04, 2012 02:23PM
maybe I'm too jaded but this just seems like an R&D project for makerbot seeing as they're one of the main sponsers. but hey, can't hurt I guess right?
I'd be curious to see what the fine print is on design submissions and what happens to them whether or not they win.
perhaps that's a good way to snuff as these small startups competiting in their space. offer up some award money, own the design, and then stop worrying about more things like printrbot popping out of the woodwork if you own their design.

but I appear to have tinfoil stuck on my head again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login