Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA in aquarium?

Posted by ebcdic 
PLA in aquarium?
May 02, 2012 05:43PM
Is it safe to use printed PLA objects in a fishtank (containing tropical fish and aquatic frogs)?
Re: PLA in aquarium?
May 02, 2012 05:55PM
Safe I am not sure but it does break down. To compost it they recommend that it be moist and around 50c.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Anonymous User
May 06, 2012 03:27AM
It is safe, PLA won't be composed unles on :
high temperature, virus(bateria),acid value,oxygen.

In normal condition, PLA is hard than PC ,PP.
May 07, 2012 02:01AM
Don't know but sister in law tried putting a PLA object in the dishwasher and wondered why it melted

May 07, 2012 02:15AM
PLA will dissolve in high alkine solutions, dishwashing detergents are usually very high in alkalinity so thats why it dissolves. PLA is safe in freshwater fishtanks where kh is 0-3dkH but does not do well in saltwater aquariums where the kh is 8-11dkh. There is a product called biopellets in the aquarium industry, and it is a plastic polymer very simular to PLA that bacteria consumes, I would not suggest using PLA inside a fishtank.

only reason I know this is because I used to part-own an aquarium storesmiling smiley

May 07, 2012 05:30AM
The reason why PLA melts/deforms in dishwashers is due to the hot water.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
May 09, 2012 09:41PM
I have printed aquarium stuff in the past but once I have my print I use Smooth-On molding and plastic products to make the object out of aquarium (and reef) safe plastic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login