Posted by N314 
Glass
June 11, 2012 09:44PM
Can I print directly to unheated glass?

-Nick
Re: Glass
June 11, 2012 11:51PM
Hmm...

Not really. The filament, be it PLA or ABS will contract enough in cooling to unstuck it.

Kapton would help with sticking, but it might be difficult to remove parts.
June 12, 2012 12:34AM
I printed PLA to unheated glass for a while while i was figuring out what to do for a heated bed. It's not a lot of fun, but you can manage if you want to.

Degrease the glass really well before printing. I used rubbing alcohol for that.

Print smaller objects. Big ones will warp and get pulled off. I used bluetack sometimes to secure an object if it started moving during printing. messy.

I started to heat the glass before printing with a hairdryer until about 50-60 degrees, keep blowing during the first layer print and then turn it off. Don't use a fan to cool the object. That worked a little better, could print bigger object, but still a bit of warp.

I found printing on preheated (hairdryer), degreased glass pretty similar to printing on degreased preheated kapton on glass.

If you want nice, hassle free prints, a heated bed is the way to go though.
June 13, 2012 07:11PM
I have exeprimented with different types of printbeds and in the end heated glass still ends up being a sure thing.

For glass, I had tried, heated, unheated, plain, sandblasted, various fire ratings (to see how high I could drive the heated bed) plus various thicknesses - 3mm, 4mm, 5mm.

Sandblasted, unheated glass works OK (and I thought it looked pretty wild) for small prints of about 20x20x10 mm at very slow speeds (20mm/sec) or you can go bigger if you increase the speed. Anything bigger and I found it warping unless I increased speeds. You may fidget with size if you increase the speed.

Various fire ratings on glass - oh boy, was that an expensive experiment and in the end it did not yield significantly superior results - not enough to justify the order of magnitude price increase. It was very expensive.

Plain glass, unheated - I had no success with that sticking.

Glass that was fire rated is something I will experiment more with but the initial results do not yield enough of an advantage plus a disadvantage is that you must run the printbed hotter. I had spoken with two local shops who said that if I have jobs that take a long time and I need to run the bed hotter, depending on what kind of glass I get, the glass may change properties on me once the temperature goes past a certain point .. 120ish Celsius being what I got quoted.
I am must say that I want to find out more about it and dig into the science behind it to learn more.

Finally, various thicknesses - this was due to 2 reasons: availability + again being told by the same shops I mentioned above that glass that is too thin, over a long time (2-3 hours) on a hot bed may not take the heat well.

So, all that, to get to what the rest of the community already knows: use a heated bed with a glass top. I will add that a 3 mm glass top will do nicely.

-
June 13, 2012 09:04PM
Wauter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I printed PLA to unheated glass for a while while
> i was figuring out what to do for a heated bed.
> It's not a lot of fun, but you can manage if you
> want to.
>
> Degrease the glass really well before printing. I
> used rubbing alcohol for that.
>
> Print smaller objects. Big ones will warp and get
> pulled off. I used bluetack sometimes to secure an
> object if it started moving during printing.
> messy.
>
> I started to heat the glass before printing with a
> hairdryer until about 50-60 degrees, keep blowing
> during the first layer print and then turn it off.
> Don't use a fan to cool the object. That worked a
> little better, could print bigger object, but
> still a bit of warp.
>
> I found printing on preheated (hairdryer),
> degreased glass pretty similar to printing on
> degreased preheated kapton on glass.
>
> If you want nice, hassle free prints, a heated bed
> is the way to go though.

yes don't use a painters electric blower it gets too hot and the glass breaks, I know I found out the hard way when my heated bed broke down

Click here to login