Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modifying Universal Mini Extruder for 3mm filament

Posted by formatc1702 
Modifying Universal Mini Extruder for 3mm filament
June 20, 2012 05:09AM
Hello!

I have the RepRapped parts to make the Universal Mini Extruder, which is originally designed with 1.75mm filament in mind. I don't have physical access to the parts right now so I would like to ask,

is it possible to modify my existing parts to take 3mm filament instead of 1.75mm? Will this be as easy as drilling out the holes which the filament goes through?
(I will most probably buy a pre-made hot end, so I need to choose which entry hole size I will order!)
I can't imagine it being much more difficult than that, but would like to ask you guys first smiling smiley
Thanks!
Re: Modifying Universal Mini Extruder for 3mm filament
June 20, 2012 05:59AM
The reason it can use such a small motor is that 1.75mm filament needs three times less force to push than 3mm filament. I don't think it will have enough torque for 3mm filament.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Modifying Universal Mini Extruder for 3mm filament
June 21, 2012 08:24AM
I see, that makes sense! I haven't bought the motor, so I don't have a feeling for its power just yet! But 1.75mm filament seems to be about the same price as 3mm one and easy enough to get, so I might just aim for that from the start.

Funny you should be the one to reply to my post, I'm currently designing my own printer, after your Mendel90! smiling smiley Designing everything from scratch, though, can't wait to put it together. Love your work!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login