Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-axis Issue?

Posted by Zimtower 
Z-axis Issue?
June 26, 2012 07:49AM

Is this what I think it is? This is my 5th attempt at printing btw.
Re: Z-axis Issue?
June 26, 2012 09:42AM
If the ridges match the threads on the threaded rod on z, it could be the rod is not straight and is pulling the entire x gantry out of position.

Lube.

Check/adjust z couplings and trapped nuts.

Exchange bent z rod for a higher quality (=probably straigher) stainless steel rod.

Cool print though, my nieces would love that! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 09:44AM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 27, 2012 09:15PM
This is likely Z_Axis wobble.

Show a picture of your printer, and it will help identify the culprit.

Usual suspects are captive z-motors (screwed down), captive lead screws (either by using two sets of nuts in the x-motor/idler ends, or using the printed 608 bearing holders at the top or bottom of the rods, or bent rods.
June 28, 2012 06:39AM
My z-axis threaded rods were slightly bent. I got some silver coated rods in the mail, gonna install tommorow and see what I have.
June 29, 2012 06:47AM

I just installed these very straight threaded rods and there is a tiny amount of improvement. I am also using the spiral couplers which I hear can be self-defeating.

[www.thingiverse.com]

I am guessing I should print these out?
June 29, 2012 10:10AM
"....or using the printed 608 bearing holders at the top or bottom of the rods, or bent rods"

So the bottom of the threaded rod on a standard prusa should not go through this bearing holder attached to the base, but rather just float in the air?
June 29, 2012 10:15AM
There is no base on a standard Prusa. Yes the rods dangle from the motor.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 29, 2012 12:17PM
Helical flex coupling are meant to be used in situations where you have a captive rod and captive motor. The coupling then allows there to be misalignment without placing stress on the bearings.

In the case of repraps, the ideal solution would be a motor with a threaded shaft, but these are expensive.

Almost any solution will produce good results IF the mating of the rod to the motor is concentric, and the rod is straight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login