Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fluidic control system

Posted by Gene Hacker 
Fluidic control system
June 19, 2008 05:14PM
I found this interesting(see 1171 C. Phoenix):
[www.molecularassembler.com]

The basic idea is to use paper tape and a fluidic computer to control hydraulic arms to machine UV curable plastic.

A fluidic control system has several advantages over an electronic and mechanical control systems: fluidics don't have to be built terribly accurately, fluidics don't need to be made of several different types of materials, fluidics have no moving parts(unless you consider the fluid to be a moving part). This makes fluidics quite replicable, a reprap built using fluidics might approach 80-90% total part replication.

The only problems with using a fluidic control system are the need for a continous supply of fluid, reprogramming the enormous paper tape for purposes other than replication, and size. Though the last problem could easily be solved through miniaturization.( [www.rsc.org] )

A fluidic transistor:
[blog.modernmechanix.com]

Fluidics basics
[www.tippettsfountains.com]

A fluidic gramophone(potential method for storing programs in a more compact manner than a 1400 ft paper tape)
[www.dself.dsl.pipex.com]

Fluidic logic gates
[www.blikstein.com]
[www.trnmag.com]
Re: Fluidic control system
June 19, 2008 07:50PM
I'm not sure how important producing commonly available parts, such as micro-controllers is, but being able to add simple control systems to reprap's creations would be very useful.

In the field of micro-fluidics there is also 'bubble logic'
[web.media.mit.edu]

It may not be practical yet though as I don't know how large the channels can be made before the bubbles stop repelling each other enough for it to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login