Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

buzzer/sounder mod

Posted by hitman1131 
buzzer/sounder mod
July 30, 2012 05:08AM
hello reprappers, im in the process of building another prusa mendel for myself, using ramps 1.4 but i'd like to add a buzzer/sounder to it to let me know when a print has finished.

im not sure where to start with this mod, i assume im going to have to add an output in the firmware and assign it to a pin, but how would i tell that pin to activate when the print finishes? is this again done in firmware or in pronterface?

thanks, ash.
Re: buzzer/sounder mod
July 30, 2012 05:39AM
Use Play beep sound gcode.
Put it in your End.gcode (for Skeinforge), or appropriate location for Slic3r or other slicers.
If your firmware doesn't support M300 then you will have to modify the firmware.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 30, 2012 05:45AM
You need to modify the firmware and implement the M300 code. If you know any C, this shouldn't be hard, just copy the structure of the existing parser. Configure your slicer to output an M300 command at the end of the code. A bit of googling turns up the tone() function which will run a piezo buzzer straight from the pin, not sure if there's a better way to do this.
July 30, 2012 05:47AM
I know when a print is finished because I turn on an 80CFM fan to cool the bed at the end of the print. They are very noisy!

M106 placed in my end.code turns it on.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 30, 2012 08:23AM
fantastic this sounds kinda easy smiling smiley

but i am still new to all of the software, so i have to manually add it to the gcode that skienforge or slicer makes when i slice the object?

or does one of the programs let u run some codes at the end of a print automaticly like your doing with the fan nophead?

as for the firmware, i have a little c program experience so i think i could update this no problems.

im using slicer, it seems pretty basic. but i do plan on changing to skienforge for the new printer.
July 30, 2012 08:30AM
In skeinforge, you can add an end.gcode file that will be appended to every gcode file it creates. Slic3r has a similar function.
July 30, 2012 08:37AM
found it, thanks guys. much appreciated. smileys with beer
August 08, 2012 04:20PM
Where does the piezo buzzer get wired-in on the RAMPS board? Do I have to configure the pins in Marlin?
August 09, 2012 05:38PM
You could also hook up a (wireless?) doorbell to your x or y endstop, so it triggers when homing after the print is finished. Would be convenient to carry with you if you're outside or elsewhere where you can't hear your printer.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login