Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Serial Connection To Computer

Posted by jajo 
Serial Connection To Computer
June 21, 2008 09:20PM
Is it possible to get a RepRap using electronics 2.0 to use usb communication? Lets say a usb b in the arduino, and a usb a in the computer? Or do I have to use serial port connection? It's just so hard to find a usb b to serial cable!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2008 09:36PM by jajo.
Anonymous User
Re: Serial Connection To Computer
June 22, 2008 12:47AM
I'm pretty sure if you use the Single Arduino electronics you only need to be connected with a normal USB cable.

The double Arduino is a different story, but at the present time there is no need to use the dual Arduino setup.

Also serial to USB converters are pretty easy to find. eBay have heaps of them and cheap. Just search "serial usb".

-Mark
June 22, 2008 10:20AM
I tried a normal usb cable, and it did not work. It could not find a serial connection, and never searched for usb.
June 23, 2008 03:34AM
That could be just that you didn't change the properties in the host to look for the usb as the default is the first serial port.

Go to the File/Preferences port(name) and change it from dev/ttyS0 (first serial port) to /dev/ttyUSB0.

I would think that in the future there will be autosearching capability but at the moment you have to tell the software what port is plugged in.
June 24, 2008 01:50PM
There are also driver issues with many usb serial dongles. Have to make sure that it
is actually working in the Ubuntu LiveCD

I ended up using and old desktop computer with an old-fashioned serial running the ubuntu live CD. That worked, but I would really like something more portable to show reprap to my friends at the local geek-club ;-)
July 09, 2008 08:45PM
damn it!

I got hold of a USB adaptor that loads nicely with the reprap live-cd, all automagically it pops up as /dev/ttyUSB0

I used it with some "normal" usages, talking to routers and serial connected computers at work and alike, but with reprap it just refuses.

I know that my reprap circuits and the computer are working since it works on the normal serial port of the computer!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login