Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Something other than a cog belt for driving axis

Posted by GITRDUN 
Something other than a cog belt for driving axis
May 26, 2012 09:34PM
Anyone have success using something other than the standard cogged belt? Id like to use something that can be picked up a local hardware store or walymart or something.
Re: Something other than a cog belt for driving axis
May 27, 2012 04:18AM
Tantillus uses high tension cables made of spectra fibre available at fishing stores. Its a braided product from power pro with incredible properties. I wrote some info on it a few days ago [geometricobjectdepositiontool.blogspot.ca]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 27, 2012 04:31AM
Don't know about something that common but small mechanical chain would work well. Especially for a big build. Any baring or belt supplier carries it and the sprockets normally.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
May 27, 2012 04:45AM
Sublime,
What diameter line do you use? Is this the type of stuff [www.ebay.co.uk] ?

I am surprised braided line on such a small diameter is accurate because it isn't round.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 27, 2012 05:08AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime,
> What diameter line do you use? Is this the type
> of stuff
> [www.ebay.co.uk]
> -FISHING-LINE-DIFFERENT-SIZES-100M-DARK-GREEN-/170
> 839671452?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=
> &hash=item6d75ec96c5#ht_5591wt_1128 ?
>

Looks to be the same stuff other than the brand. I am using 65lb and that link was for all ratings, I would probably go with there 70-90 as the size does not increase much but the strength does.

> I am surprised braided line on such a small
> diameter is accurate because it isn't round.

It think it has to do with the fact it only rides on one side so even if the thickness varied a lot it would still be moving it the same amount. Kind of like if a belt was thicker in one spot (not wider) it would not change the distance it moved on the inside of the belt where it rides on the pulley and idler, just on the outside where it would travel further because of the larger radius.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 27, 2012 10:44AM
Ok so it's not quite available in shops, but it is reasonably priced and available mail order... Synchromesh cable

I use it on both the X and Y axis. I am getting pretty good results from it and prefer it over the standard timing belts for various reasons.

I have some footage of it working in my new Yaxis motor bracket...

Sychromesh cable and pulleys are available from Stock Drive Products

From their website...

A new series of Synchromesh Cable Drives introduced by Stock Drive Products are uniquely designed for positive traction to replace conventional ropes, simple cables and cog drives, especially where tight space is an important factor. This new cable drive is designed to provide high precision positioning in electronic equipment such as: copying machines, X-Y plotters, typewriters, printers, word processors, etc. A key feature of the new drive is its ability to be used in three-dimensional serpentine configurations which enable the creation of extremely miniature designs.

Synchromesh cable can be used with lower tension when compared with ropes which reduces power consumption. Unlike ropes, wind-up around drums is not required which eliminates problems with dislocated printing caused by accumulation of elongation when rope is used due to wind-up.

This patented miniature cable, identified as the A 6J 9- and
A 6J 9M Series, consists of a straight center section, encased in Nylon and a helically wound outer length encased in Polyurethane. Both cable strands consist of braided stainless steel cores.

May 27, 2012 08:30PM
I use 0.5mm stainless steel cable on my current project, it's not finished yet but I already tested the X axis :
[www.youtube.com]
The video show 4 test cycles, with 100 cycles the result is the same.
May 27, 2012 09:42PM
I thought of trying steel cable but want to experiment with other things first. I grabbed some weed whacker trim from the garage that looks prossiming thus far.
May 28, 2012 03:32PM
Petrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use 0.5mm stainless steel cable on my current
> project, it's not finished yet but I already
> tested the X axis :
> [www.youtube.com]
> The video show 4 test cycles, with 100 cycles the
> result is the same.

That's really interesting, it looks like the wire is wrapped around the driving pulley, is it just one wrap, or is it anchored in some way?
What sort of pulley are you using to drive the wire?
On a side note, it occurs to me that if this can be made to work for tminated loops, locking guitar tuning pegs would make a stellar tension adjuster.
VDX
May 28, 2012 04:08PM
... I've built my first laser-plotters with 0.3 and 0.5mm thick 'high elastic' steelwires made from 19 single threads.

The complete length of the X-wire was around 2 meters (Y-wire maybe 1.5m).

The first X+Y-drivers can be seen in the atached photo - they were for the 0.3mm-wire and the 'pulleys' made from aluminium. I've wrapped the wire 3 times around the pulley and tensioned it over the complete length with small wire-fasteners from RC-ships.

For the 0.5mm-wire I've made pulleys from POM (Delrin), but here again three windings were enough for slip-free grip.

The atached drawing shows the complete setup with both motors+pulleys in one block ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Attachments:
open | download - Antriebe X und Y.jpg (440.8 KB)
open | download - Laserplotter komplett.jpg (78.9 KB)
May 28, 2012 04:15PM
There are several turns around the driving pulley, here is a close-up picture of the system :
[forums.reprap.org]
On the picture it was 0,75mm 7 strands steel wire but it was too rigid and broke during the reliability test.

The driving pulley is printed in ABS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login