Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print design programs?

Posted by laurensderegt 
Print design programs?
September 23, 2012 07:38PM
What progams do you guys use to design your prints?
Re: Print design programs?
September 23, 2012 08:07PM
Lightwave 3D.
September 23, 2012 09:33PM
tinkercad for simple stuff, cuz it's free.

for more complicated stuff, i'm using netfabb. be sure to sign up for a class at your local community college. Some community colleges are very cheap, like less than $100 per class Then, you're eligible for the "student" discount at netfabb for $400 purchase price instead of the $1000 price.

I signed up for a pottery class because a ceramic build platform would be great for my 3d printer. The plastic one droops when heated. ceramic doesn't droop under heat.
September 23, 2012 10:09PM
I use Blender, it is complicated but really powerful.

@elbot Tinkercad has gone the way of Makerbot. You now get a free trial but have to pay to use it for anything after that.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 24, 2012 12:37AM
solidworks.
it's my bread and butter.
$3k from GoEngineer
September 24, 2012 03:12AM
Solidworks because I know how to use it, learning FreeCAD at the moment due to the cost of upgrading Solidworks

September 24, 2012 06:47PM
Blender is free and stuffed full of powerful features that I am still discovering. It has a steep learning curve but some useful KB shortcuts that make it fast to work with.
OpenSCAD is also free and is a great option if you're more of the coding persuasion - the Mendel90 printer is fully parametric and fully designed in OpenSCAD which proves how effective it can be, in the right hands.
I tried Alibre Design (a CSG modelling program) and I really liked it but it is quite expensive for the amateur engineer so when the trial period lapsed I stopped using it. Then I discovered that Cubify Invent has many of the features of Alibre Design Professional (it's basically a slimmed down version of that program) but with a much lower price tag of only $49. I forked out the cash for that and I'm very pleased with it.
There are many others to try - download some, have a play and see what suits your style and experience.
September 25, 2012 02:25AM
Alibre Design 2012 Personal - $160 from authorized resellers. But there also is Cubify Invent for $60 which is parametric (based on Alibre Design).

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login