Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to get plain text file to be an .stl file?

Posted by JLudlow 
How to get plain text file to be an .stl file?
May 27, 2012 06:19PM
Hi everybody,

Maybe I am totally clued out here, and it would not be the first time smiling smiley -but what is one supposed to do with a plain text file to get it to be a .stl file.? For example I found the Prusa Mendel files at Github and when I click on the link to the .stl part files it leads me to plain text, which would be, I imagine the content of an .stl file. So how do I get that text to be an .stl file? I tried copy-pasting into a text file and saving with an .stl extension, and that did not work.

Thanks for any and all info!

Jacqueline

www.singularitymachine.com/blog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 06:23PM by JLudlow.
Re: How to get plain text file to be an .stl file?
May 27, 2012 06:33PM
Short answer: Click Raw and File | Save As...

Better short answer: At the project home page, [github.com] , click ZIP and download the whole thing. You're probably going to want the lot of them after all. smiling smiley
May 27, 2012 06:34PM
Right click on the RAW button and do save as. If you want all of them click on the "Download" button and the click on "Download as zip".

If want to keep track of changes and contribute fixes, etc, you fork the project in GitHub and install Git on your machine to make a local repository, make changes to your local files, commit them to your local repository, push them to Github and submit pull requests to the project you got them from. Quite a complicated system I am just getting my head around, but very powerful.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 27, 2012 06:56PM
Thanks for the answers, I had the feeling it was something simple that I was missing.

Nophead, the Github site sounds interesting and yes, complicated, but, heck, if we can figure out the 3d printer thing, Github should be nothing smiling smiley
-thanks for the info.

Jacqueline

www.singularitymachine.com/blog
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login