Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HELP ME wire a heater and controller!

Posted by tegtech 
HELP ME wire a heater and controller!
October 19, 2012 11:54AM
Hey I'm trying to build a plastic molding machine.
I Just cant get my damn wiring to work!
I thought you reprap guys might know a thing or two about basic electronics so please take a look at my wiring diagram (attached)

I've connected a lamp/ bulp (to represent / act as the band heater) it glows, but never turns off not even when the controller reaches the set temperature (I fool the thermocouple with an external heating source) I've connected the things as on the diagrams I've seen on the internet but it never turns off.

Can you PLEASE HELP ME!?
I would really really really appreciate it!
Attachments:
open | download - wiring diagram.png (43.3 KB)
Re: HELP ME wire a heater and controller!
October 19, 2012 01:12PM
What's the exact model of your C100? The one that I have is for driving an SSR and uses pin 4 and 5, there are different models with different drive output configurations. make sure you are using the correct one.
October 19, 2012 02:44PM
i have the REX-C100FK02-M-AN
dont know the difference? (baought on ebay)
October 19, 2012 05:26PM
Yeah, your diagram wont work with that. The "M" on the model number corresponds to a NO(normally open) relay contact at pins 4 and 5. So you basically need a separate power supply say like +5v going to your SSR, GND goes to 4 and 5 goes to the other SSR pin. Look at the rating of the contact on the manual link below and maybe you can just use the built-in relay contact instead of your SSR.

Heres the manual that I used.

or you can Hack it to have a voltage output to drive your SSR instead.

You are dealing with 100vac + here so be cautious.
October 21, 2012 11:09AM
I've successfully hacked the controller now and the SSR relay now gets 12v from it (and it lights up= power on) but now I've assembled the whole thing with heater and all but when it reaches set temperature it just keeps heating... even thoug the SSR turns off (indicator light stops glowing and I can see the the 12v turns to 0v with my multimeter) any Idea what's wrong?
October 21, 2012 12:03PM
What your describing sounds like your SSR has failed (shorted). I have no experience with them but i'd start with that. Change it for a 12VDC relay and see if it works.
October 21, 2012 12:08PM
edit: double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 12:09PM by Gibbedy.
October 21, 2012 12:43PM
what is a 12vdc relay?
I have some extra SSR's so I'll try them then if you say it might be shorted, I bought some spares winking smiley
October 21, 2012 02:01PM
I gathered you are driving a solid state relay from a temp controller to switch your heater. You can safely swap the solid state relay for an electro-mechanical one if you have one handy to test. If you have another ssr that's even better.

12 volts direct current relay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 02:04PM by Gibbedy.
October 21, 2012 02:10PM
I tried another SSR and the problems it is the same, it keeps heating after reached set temperature... but I could see that the power turns of to the heater so the relay actually works. I waited a while and the temperature sank to the desired temperature and now it turns on/off to stay there, so it ACTUALLY WORKS!
I need to see if I can change the settings so that it turns off sooner, but either way IT WORKS! thank you for your help winking smiley
October 21, 2012 02:24PM
again thank you so much for tour help!
- another question;
Is there anyway I can make this; one controller and one relay control multiple heaters? (maybe "just" two) or do I relly need a controller for each heater?
October 22, 2012 06:42AM
1 controller per thing your trying to heat. If it's a PID controller have a read of the documentation and let it do an auto-tune. Google PID heat control if your interested in why your seeing the temp overshoot.
I'm sure you can get multi-zone controller but I'm not sure it would be cheaper than a couple of cheap controllers.

Edit: I'm not sure about multizone. I'm just guessing you can buy something that does this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2012 06:44AM by Gibbedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login