Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

We got digg/dugg...er digged...dugged...er...

Posted by Demented Chihuahua 
We got digg/dugg...er digged...dugged...er...
June 23, 2008 10:28AM
[digg.com]

Same old stupid comments. One guy looks like he actually read the site before posting a longish comment. Nice of he, but he still bagged on us. Feh. What can you do?

Demented
Re: We got digg/dugg...er digged...dugged...er...
June 23, 2008 10:57AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As they say in Hollywood, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

The way you have to look at it is this. Eighteen months ago, virtually NOBODY even knew Reprap existed. On the Alexa rating we were ranked about 400,000. Since the rollout a few weeks ago we've cranked up to where we're solidly within the top 100,000 websites worldwide.

If we were the Wright Brothers, we'd be in the zone of public awareness where people knew we got some publicity but still didn't quite believe we were for real.

Our task for the next year is to consolidate what we already have. We've got to get our release package where it doesn't take a half of a bottle of Tylenol to get a Reprap running. We've also got to get Nophead's print quality achievements working for a lot more people than just Nop.

The real achievement that we need to make in the next 12 months is to shift over from cast parts for Reprap to printed ones. Once that's done there will be a LOT less BS about Darwin not replicating. We'll have also dropped the price of making a Darwin by several hundred dollars, too.

Right now we're at generation 3 for Darwin. It will be interesting to do a census at about generation 10 which I figure we'll be at in 12 months. We definitely need a place where people can register their Darwin's.

The REALLY big next jump in public awareness is when the Mouse (Disney) sends out it's first nastygram to some kid printing Micky Mouse action figures for his friends. Then we're going to see the big IP assholes like the Mouse buying Congressmen so that they can get the scanned objects "loophole" closed in copyright law. Then the shit will well and truly hit the fan. smileys with beer
June 23, 2008 06:23PM
Yup, I agree more or less. Those are the beacons we would be expecting.
There's a related post by Steven DeGroof showing the google trends and I think the biggest news, appart from the pikes we face when getting digged/dug/dugged is that we seem to gather a solid amount of returning traffic.
As of lately, I have also witnessed some very interesting new techniques being submitted to discussion here, with actual tests and proof of concept having been performed.
All those techniques added to FDM really generate some appreciable search results in google. I get questions on the UV-resins from people that are making their frikkin' degrees!
June 24, 2008 02:11PM
I found the digg comments quite funny, a little self irony is only healthy, maybe we should collect the humorist remarks already made in this forum somewhere :-)

My contribution:

Extrude! Extrude! Extrude! Obey the reprap or you will be Extruded!!

I believe we also have a doctor :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2008 02:13PM by mimarob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login