Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please help.... Noob with extruder problems.

Posted by flying freak 
Please help.... Noob with extruder problems.
November 19, 2012 10:43PM
Hello

Iv been reading the forum for the last little while but first actual post. Im having lots of trouble with the hot end / extruder. First I used an A2a hot end which pushed itself apart completely stripping the threads in the Teflon. Then a tried a hot end from a polish ebay seller who seemed to have a good design that didn't rely on plastic threads to hold the pressure.

This new hot end takes the pressure no problem but the extruder jams about 1-2 minutes of printing. If I push the plastic it gets progressively more and more difficult until I can't push it through anymore. Iv played with temperature ,gone from 220C all the way upto 265C with abs, both abs I got from repraper.com and from A2A. I then tried to print PLA and ran into the exact same issue (iv tried temps from about 180-235 for pla - no luck.)

What I figure is that the plastic is melting too soon and I'm seriously considering machining an all brass hot end with water cooling if I can't get this issue resolved....

all help appreciated.
Re: Please help.... Noob with extruder problems.
November 19, 2012 11:40PM
show a picture off this other hot end. it seems it is nor getting enough cooling in the cold zone.
November 19, 2012 11:48PM
current setup
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20121118-00121.jpg (88.9 KB)
November 20, 2012 07:28PM
You might be running your hot-end too hot. Try running it at 185 to 190C.
Also running a fan on the PTFE portion of the hot-end will keep the filament cool till it reaches the metal portion.
PLA expands when it is heated, so you want to avoid this expansion in PTFE section to avoid clogging.
If you get a clog in PTFE, there is no point pushing it in as the problem will persist. It is best to pull the filament out before the problem gets worse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login