Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where are you uploading your designs?

Posted by Wired1 
Where are you uploading your designs?
November 21, 2012 02:56AM
The traffic on Thingiverse is very low so I'm wondering where people are uploading their new design ideas. Are there any viable open-source-friendly repositories anywhere?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Re: Where are you uploading your designs?
November 21, 2012 06:05AM
The only other one I've heard about is PhysibleExchange, but I don't know how many people actually use it. I just know that I don't. tongue sticking out smiley

What makes you say that traffic on Thingiverse is low? It hasn't seemed low to me.
November 21, 2012 07:02AM
Wired1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The traffic on Thingiverse is very low so I'm
> wondering where people are uploading their new
> design ideas. Are there any viable
> open-source-friendly repositories anywhere?

Why do you say this, I'm seeing as much or more new designs being uploaded as before?

Anyway, none of the Thingiverse competitors seems to have yet taken off, so if you actually want people to see and print your design, Thingiverse is more or less the only option... unless you need version control. For that, GitHub is very nice. It's possible to use software development methods like makefiles, dependencies, includes, revisions etc. which makes managing more complex, evolving designs easier.
November 21, 2012 07:31AM
For those wanting to establish a competitor, still don't want to miss the visitors on Thingiverse: it's perfectly possible to upload a design to more than one site.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 21, 2012 08:05AM
Better yet, if you are still unsure about what thingiverse will do with your design, you can upload all the descriptions, howto, pictures etc to thingiverse as usual BUT keep the design files themselves on other sites (and link them from thingiverse).

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 21, 2012 03:43PM
Actually I don't have a problem with Thingiverse but I had noticed the volume has dropped to probably a quarter of what is once was. As a rough guide if I log on 24 hours apart the things I saw on the first occasion are often only a page in from the previous day whereas before it was three or four pages in. I also note that there are increasing numbers of Makerbot items padding it out. It is still the only place I am uploading stuff but I just wondered if there was somewhere else people were going to that I hadn't heard of - I guess it would have been publicised here if there was. Github could be viable if it got more visual and user friendly but my brain struggles with the cluttered format.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 06:30PM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login