Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kapton getting old

Posted by rogerw 
kapton getting old
November 25, 2012 04:10PM
hi all,
does the kapton tape wear out (apart from obvious holes and tears). does it lose its ability to remove prints.
mine parts lately seem to be sticking like super glue - can't get them off. (have had the printer for 3 weeks).
is there a good site on how to replace the tape.
thanks roger.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: kapton getting old
November 26, 2012 09:14PM
Roger,

I did observe this phenomenon with my Kapton tape as well. I am suspecting the polyurathine coat fades away as we keep using the same surface area. I think it is better to replace it.

Attahced are the instructions that I have received from 3dstuffmaker. Hope its helpful for you.
Attachments:
open | download - guide_4_en.pdf (208.6 KB)
November 26, 2012 09:37PM
thanks mate, was not as hard to get off as i thought.
have bought 3 pieces of glass (because my bed is not flat as i have told you) am going to kapton on one, blue tape on the other and kapton cleaned with acetone on the other. will see what happens.
roger.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 27, 2012 09:22PM
I thought kapton tape was just kapton (polyimide) film and silicone based adhesive. Urethane has a much lower melting point, so a kapton tape with a urethane coating would not be as temperature resistant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login