Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Testing Suggestions?

Posted by mars bonfire 
Extruder Testing Suggestions?
November 30, 2012 10:39AM
I am getting precious close to have having all the hardware completed for my custom reprap machine. I must admit, the choices and integration of the toolchain software looms as a major task. So... I would like to test out the subsystems independently before trying to exercise the *whole* system (input solid file through desk toy).

Question: I would like a simple set of software to test out the extruder on a fixed stand. Something that would give me simple, direct controls of the primitives involved with extruding.

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 as the controller. The custom electronics are based on Pololu stepper drivers modules and simple FET PWM cartridge power. The extruder motor is a small stepper. The temperature monitor is based on a Honeywell thermistor (something like a 100Kohm unit that appears to be commonly used on reprap machines).

I would be extruding into free space (not onto a bed). So ideally, this software "tool" would allow me to try out the extruder at various feed rates, let me set the hotend temperature, let me play with PID hotend temperature control parameters and all without worrying about the other axes and complications from the rest of the toolchain.

Is there extruder test software that fits the bill? Or should I use one of the toolchain firmware versions (with the correct pindefs) as the test mule?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions from those who have further down the path.

Steve
Re: Extruder Testing Suggestions?
December 01, 2012 06:09PM
You can use one of the hosts (Pronterface or Repetier) and load your AT Mega with either the Sprinter or Marlin firware. You should be able modify either firmware to be compatible with your electronics. You'll need to edit the configuration.h, pins.h and maybe thermistortables.h.
Re: Extruder Testing Suggestions?
December 02, 2012 09:28AM
Brnrd,

Thanks for replying. I am working on using Pronterface (as part of Printrun package) with Sprinter firmware and things seem to be working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login