Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MAKING HOTBED HOTTER (NEED HELP WITH THIS BITCH)

Posted by ckim306 
MAKING HOTBED HOTTER (NEED HELP WITH THIS BITCH)
December 21, 2012 11:36AM
need help!!! my hotbed is not heating up. Any solutions on making it hotter/work. My creations are falling to pieces because the hotbed won't isn't hot enough to support the base. Thank you all <3
Re: MAKING HOTBED HOTTER (NEED HELP WITH THIS BITCH)
December 21, 2012 01:23PM
If its one of the printed circuit hotbeds basically it's one of two things.
The resistance is too high, should be in the 1.2 to 1.5 ohm range
The voltage is too low.

Measure the voltage from the PSU when the bed is on, if it's dropping significantly, and you are using an ATX power supply you may need to add a load on the 5V line,
Make sure nothing is adding resistance in the circuit, use heavy gage cables, the resistance is so low that insufficient cabling can change it significantly.
Put an insulator under the bed, so the heat radiates upwards.

All that said, details like what heated bed, what PSU, and how hot it gets would make diagnosing the issue better.
And can you describe falling to pieces, hot beds really only help lower layers adhere to the bed and stay flat during the print, it won't change things like layer bonding.
December 21, 2012 02:59PM
Make sure that the wiring from the controller to board is sufficient gauge. I am powering mine at 12 volts and I am using 18 gauge. Also be sure you have a good solder joint to the board. My board would not get hot enough ABS until I re-soldered the wires. Now I get up to ABS temps in 10 minutes or so.
December 21, 2012 06:30PM
how hot are you trying to run the bed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login