Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommendations Please: Best Extruder For E3D Hot-End smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by Idolcrasher 
Recommendations Please: Best Extruder For E3D Hot-End smiling bouncing smiley
December 28, 2012 05:07PM
I have in my possession on of these bad boys: A 1.75mm E3D All-Metal Hot-End

I am trying to decide how to best implement this in a Prusa-esque build. The E3D Boys apparently drop this into the version of the Wades Extruder that Nophead bundled with the Mendel90. It looks like two m3 bolts are what holds it in place.

I would like to hear your thoughts. What extruder you think would best suit this hot-end in a Prusa-Style build?

Please keep in mind that this extruder is made for 1.7mm filament. Would you recomend a specific type of hobbed bolt? Any special ideas for mounting it?

Thanks for your thoughts smiling smiley

FabberForge - Printing Happiness

[www.fabberforge.com]
Re: Recommendations Please: Best Extruder For E3D Hot-End smiling bouncing smiley
December 29, 2012 06:20AM
Some more pictures might be helpful. winking smiley

Detlef

Excalibur Hotend

reprapzone.blogspot.de

Re: Recommendations Please: Best Extruder For E3D Hot-End smiling bouncing smiley
December 29, 2012 08:58AM

December 29, 2012 09:34AM
Personally, I have only ever used the RRP style (6mm hobbed bolt) extruders with 1.7mm filament.

I have never used a carriage mounted extruder to push 1.7mm filament. I have never seen 8mm hobbed bolts that have a groove cut into them for purely for 1.7mm.
December 29, 2012 11:31AM
I have one of those. I printed a new ABS piece (the red one in the pictures) to make it groove-mount compatible. I'd be happy to share the file for it if you'd like. I use a PG35L geared stepper extruder with it, but a standard Wade's should work just fine. I would recommend printing one with a smaller filament hole diameter though since the 1.7mm filament is more likely to buckle in a 3.5mm diameter hole. As long as the hobbing isn't too deep, a standard hobbed bolt should work just fine as well.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
December 29, 2012 02:13PM
Awesome Cameron,

Thanks so much for your insights on the matter. I would love to check out your custom printed piece. Can I find it online or should I PM you my email address?
December 29, 2012 03:13PM
I have attached the file here. If you have any questions please let me know!

I unfortunately didn't realize that the hotend would only be compatible with 1.7mm filament before I bought it, so I have only been able to use it with polycarbonate since all my other plastic is 3mm.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Attachments:
open | download - hotend_coupler.stl (59.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login