Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Elasto Plastic Filament

Posted by Karl_Williams 
Elasto Plastic Filament
June 01, 2012 02:07PM
It would be cool if we can get this elasto plastic in roll of filament. Does anyone know if this is available?

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1375-Introducing-3D-Printed-Black-Elasto-Plastic-I-Cant-Believe-Its-Not-Rubber.html
Re: Elasto Plastic Filament
June 01, 2012 02:37PM
The extrusion process we use depends on the filament being rigid right until it is flowable.

I don't believe this would work unless there was a material which became 'rubbery' only after being heated to a high temperature above it's normal melting point (otherwise how would it become filament in the first place?)

www.Fablicator.com
June 08, 2012 10:52AM
Orbi-tech sells filament made of Thermoplastic Elastomer which looks like more or less the same stuff. I have done some trial prints with it, and it does work and produce rubbery objects. It can be driven through an extruder just like any other filament, even though it's elastic. Just not as fast.
June 08, 2012 11:01AM
What little I've seen of the Orbi-tech leads me to believe it is nowhere near as rubbery as the shapeways product.

www.Fablicator.com
June 08, 2012 11:35AM
Well, you could probably use it to print a fine jack pad for lifting a car. It's quite a bit firmer and stronger than your average rubber band. But it does stretch to at least twice the length just fine and in thinner sections behaves like the shapeways animation shows (although I have never actually handled the material from shapeways)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login