Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First time RepRapper, first time meltdown

Posted by Ablarry91 
First time RepRapper, first time meltdown
January 01, 2013 01:59PM
Hello RepRap Community,

I am a senior mech.e student and decided to spend some of my co-op earnings on a RepRapPro. Wonderfully fun investment smiling smiley

I've managed to print a handful of very customized, very practical parts for my own personal and entrepreneurial uses. However. I believe to be an error of my own, my PLA-printed RepRap did not seem to respond well when I changed from printing PLA to ABS. In fact, I had stress-related failures in two separate locations. As you can see from the photos, my linear bearing mounts and lower framing corner mounts are deformed. Perhaps too much preload in the frame, but the fact that the bearing mounts also failed has me wondering. When I switched from printing PLA to ABS (higher heating temps necessary), I suspect I allowed my heated bed (held at 100 degrees C) to residually heat my RepRap itself. I'm not sure exactly when the failure occured, but I've held the bed temperature like that for multiple four hour sessions.

I'm located in the US and would prefer not to wait for very long international shipping. Would anyone suggest a supplier who provides RepRapPro Mendel parts? I could care less about Prusa or any of the other variations. Also, have any other rappers hear experienced a similar problem as what I'm having? Feedback gladly welcomed.

-Austin
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2587.JPG (459.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_2588.JPG (558.9 KB)
Re: First time RepRapper, first time meltdown
January 01, 2013 02:44PM
I had a PLA printed extruder and gear set melt down as well, just from the extruder motor being at 60-65C.

They did last long enough to print ABS replacements.

Go for ABS parts, and I would go with base legs that are not hollowed out like your PLA ones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login