Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support Material

Posted by N314 
Support Material
June 02, 2012 04:27PM
I sliced a model in slic3r and checked the box "generate support material" it was with the primary extruder... No support was printed. Why?
Is there anyone who has done peel away support with slic3r?

-Nick
Re: Support Material
June 02, 2012 05:33PM
It does generate support at least the post 0.7.2 versions do, but nothing like as aggressively as Skeinforge.
When I've tried it the base layers of the support are dots and I can never get them to stick.
June 02, 2012 07:24PM
Well thats odd. I have 0.7.1. Why does it have a check box if it dosent do support generation?
June 02, 2012 07:36PM
I think 0.7.1 did, but the option was there for a while and though it did occasionally generate support, even clear examples where it was needed didn't get it.
The 0.8.2 release notes explicitly say that there is still a lot of work to be done with support.
June 02, 2012 09:46PM
Slic3r support generation is still in extream infant stage. As slic3r versions have progressed it has improved, but it still is not perfect, nor up to par with SFACTS, or Skienfordge. The developer is still working on this aspect (see the developers notes).

I love Slic3r, and it is my primary slicing program, but I highly suggest learning skeinfordge, just for the fact that it will help you better understand how each setting can affect the print. Use SFACTS, its a simple version of skienfordge.
June 03, 2012 06:46AM
Slic3r 7.2 has produced support for me - but there is pretty much nothing in the way of options, and on the relatively delicate part I have been printing today, the honeycomb support was too dense and impossible to remove cleanly.
For this job I have had to dust off skeinforge - which allows you to select the overhang angle to start supporting at, and the density of support. It behaved like you would expect 'support' to - ripping out easily.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login