Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layers stop sticking half way up build...

Posted by tjhj2 
Layers stop sticking half way up build...
June 02, 2012 04:50PM
Hi all,

I am using a Makergear Prusa and I am trying to print a measuring spoon.

But no matter what I seem to do it stops sticking to the previous layer and drags it across the bottom. Ive slowed it down to the point it melts from the tip sitting on it, sped it up, different layer thickness, played with plastic sizing... I am just out of ideas. Added fans, less fans, some on some off, All off, all on. I have about a dozen of these useless spoons around now...

The ones that aren't finished are just because I stopped it, once it started.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to make this print right?
Attachments:
open | download - photo 1.JPG (514.1 KB)
open | download - photo 2-1.jpg (156.8 KB)
open | download - photo 3.JPG (505.1 KB)
open | download - photo 4.JPG (507.2 KB)
open | download - photo 5-1.jpg (280.9 KB)
Re: Layers stop sticking half way up build...
June 02, 2012 05:09PM
Lower layer heights (0.25 - 0.15) and extra perimeters (3 - 4) should do better on the shallow curves. But they are always an issue.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 02, 2012 05:11PM
First off, nice pictures. I think a lot of us would like to know more about your camera setup.

Have you visited [calculator.josefprusa.cz] ? Calibration errors can cause this kind of problem.

In the round circles, it looks like the width/height ratio is too small. When you are spinning inside circles, if the ratio is small, there's a greater chance that your filament won't attach to the previous inside perimeter layer. That's why you see the filament stretched across the circle.

I would start off by making sure your calibration is good. Most important are the z-height and extruder steps/mm settings.

After that, tune your slicing software.
June 02, 2012 05:12PM
It will help to know more about your setup. Temperatures, slicer type, slicer settings of feed rate,etc.
June 02, 2012 11:05PM
Jcabrer,

You'll laugh at this, but I took the pictures with my iPhone 4. I have a D90 but as long as its got good light I get good enough close up picks with the phone, Just put it in the sun.

Ok here it goes for the setup, this is all the settings I have tried with no improvement.

My machine has a .35 diam nozzle, and appears to have no backlash or circular problems from testing. If it makes an accurate and round circle than I thought it was good on travel, but that is from CNC world so please correct me if that is wrong. I am also using glass on top of my heated PCB bed. Which on an IR Temp Reader shows 57-58C.

All the pictures are at .2mm layer height.
Different from Standard Settings below.
Photo 1 and 2 on standard settings
Photo 3 is at 1.1 extrusion multiplier
Photo 4 is with slow if under 15 seconds, minim print speed 10, all print speeds 30mm.
Photo 5 is .9 extrusion multiplier.

I am using Slic3r 7.2b

(STANDARD)
My best looking settings are

Layer Height 0.2
First layer ratio 1
Infill every 1 layer

perimeters 3
solid layers 3
Fill density 0.2

Retraction 1.7

Cooling Disabled and Enabled
2 50mm fans always on at 100%
Slow down if layer print is below 45
Minium Print Speed 15

Nozzle Diamater - 0.42
Filament - 2.85mm
Extrusion Multiplier 1
Temperature 185
First Layer Temperature 185
Bed Temp 60

Perimeters 30
Small Perimeters 30
Infill 60
Solid Infil 60
Bridges 60
Travel 130
Bottom layer speed ratio 0.3

(Variations)
This is what I have tried
Layer Height From 0.2,0.25,0.3, 0.35 and 0.4 (Yeah .4 didn't go very well at all)
First layer ratio 1
Infill every 1 layer

perimeters 3
solid layers 3
Fill density 0.2,0.3,0.4

Retraction 1.7

Cooling Disabled and Enabled
2 50mm fans always on at 100%
Slow down if layer print is below 15,30,45
Minium Print Speed 1 (Just melted), 10,15

Nozzle Diamater - 0.42
Filament - 2.85mm
Extrusion Multiplier 0.9, 1, 1.1
Temperature 185
First Layer Temperature 185
Bed Temp 60

Perimeters 10,15,30
Small Perimeters 10,15,30
Infill 10,15,60
Solid Infil 60
Bridges 60
Travel 130
Bottom layer speed ratio 0.3
I have run a bunch of calibrations, to make sure my steps are correct per move, just measuring, nickel test, squares of given sizes. I have been using my measuring equipment from my CNC stuff, all accurate to .001 or .0005 in. So I am pretty confident that the X,Y,Z movement distances are correct. As for filament extrusion, I have tried a few methods but I am not as confident. I also did a bed level check today and it is within .001 of an inch of level with the head.

Thank you for your time and help with this,
June 03, 2012 12:20AM
There is a setting in Skeinforge called Infill Perimeter Overlap (ratio). Default is 0.15

I don't know if there is something similar in Slicer, as I have not used it much yet, but you should consider at least giving Skeinforge a try to see how the results vary. The perimeter overlap helps with inside circles.

Another thing I would suggest is that you bump up to 0.3 layer height. It get's a little less precise on the extrusion when they layers are thin. Part of getting good consistent prints is finding the right layer height to print at.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login