Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMI. RepRap circles.

Posted by Dan H 
TMI. RepRap circles.
January 27, 2013 05:50PM
Has anyone actually looked at the RepRap.org website from the prospective of a newbie?

I'll be honest with you, there is just too much information. And I find myslef reading for hours, and never actually getting any usefull details.

A quick start guide should not be so confounded, or obtuse.

Clearly the "Parts Kits" do not include ALL of the parts required to Rep a Rap.

And every link that promises to hold answers only provides dozens of additional links that overwhelm and prevent anyone from gleaning usefull answers.

But this is the custom with OpenSource. Can someone create a usefull website? Is there already one? Or should I just buy a 3d printer and forget about wading through all the bull crap?

After a week I still cannot find anyplace that sells the parts, I've not found 1 site that can give me a comprehensive parts list. I cant even buy the parts individually as I do not know what the required parts are. And the people who seem to know want a ton of money for something that is not nearly as high quality as what you can go buy prebuilt.

I'm looking for a cheap solution. Any assistance is appreciated.

Dan -
Re: TMI. RepRap circles.
January 27, 2013 05:55PM
Cheap solution for beginner is always going to be a prusa mendel.

I came into this with 0 knowledge, and all it took was some reading to get a plan together.

Prusa mendel kits are widely available. All the flavors of electronics are widely available. Hotends and heatbeds are widely available. You can even get a threaded rod kit for a prusa on ebay if you dont want to cut the rods yourself.

When you do find the wiki pages with info that pertains to your build, bookmark it!
-Wiring diagrams for the electronics you choose
-Steps per mm calculators
-firmware information
etc etc etc

Good luck. Once you get a plan together you can take it all one step at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 06:00PM by xclusive585.
January 27, 2013 06:28PM
I came to the same conclusion that the Prusa Mendle was what I wanted to build.

From the main poage you click on "Get Parts", but these are all people selling a subset of parts, or people selling the whole prebuilt machine.

I've already spent 20-30 hours reading text, and following useless links. Amazon has all kinds of people again selling a subset of the parts, or the whole machine,($1600). A professional quality 3d printer starts around $3000.

The thing is, I make too much money to waste my time reading about crap that isn't actually what the link claims it to be.

And to date, I have not seen a single parts list. Only partial parts lists.

Isn't the whole point of the open source RepRap to provide useful information to make this spread? Right now its more like a room full of people all talking at the same time.

Thanks for your post, but I already know how to mark a useful web page when i find it.

My question was, where is the useful webpage?

Try this yourself, go to the main web page, (http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page)
click on "how to get Prusa". Clearly you have to get it before you build it.

But there is nothing on this page that is anything BUT people trying to make money. And subsets of parts, or prebuilt machines. Tell me this isn't stupid.

I'm quite tired of following useless links.
January 27, 2013 07:05PM
Well if you have money, but no time, buy a pre-built, pre calibrated reprap.

I'm sure some people here will gladly give you thumbs up or thumbs down for a whole universe of sellers.

Again, if you look at people selling prusa plastic parts, most kits have all parts except the extruder, and some kits include that too. Dont know where your finding kits that dont have all the parts.

As far as "vitamins", all the metal bits and bolts and rods, there's kits of those out there, lots of em.

So once you have both of those kits, all you're left with is motors, electronics, wires, and hotend and heatbed.

Either way, if you have the money and this doesn't seem like something you want to deal with, just buy one pre-assembled and all inclusive.

And the reason it's hard to find a kit that contains all of the above is because most reprappers want choice in what type of parts they use.

If you want a full kit, I being new here already know of two people doing full kits. Nophead and JohnOly. Nophead can be PMed, his mendel90 kit I believe has EVERYTHING. SeeMeCNC (JohnOly) also has kits that include everything even the PSU. And there are many others.

Do your homework.
We can help with specific questions. But complaints are a little harder to "answer"

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 07:25PM by xclusive585.
January 27, 2013 07:16PM
Actually, I think the info on reprap.org/wiki is pretty good. There are parts lists, build guides etc contributed by people giving their free time. People selling parts kits, obviously they need to make money, do you think they should sell you stuff at cost out of the goodness of the heart? With a couple of clicks I found a parts list, or a company selling me a complete kit - really, what more do you want?

Some people seem to think that "open source" = "free giveaway". Sorry, it's not that simple. If you want something for nothing or are not prepared to make some effort then you are always going to be disappointed.

You can get a lot of information by joining the conversation, but telling people your time is too valuable to waste is not a good way to go about it.
January 27, 2013 07:22PM
People that can't navigate a wiki shouldn't even be attempting a project that requires basic mechanical and simple electrical skills. Spend 3 grand on a Makerbot instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 07:24PM by xclusive585.
January 27, 2013 07:39PM
If you have the money, I would definitely recommend buying a kit, even if it's not assembled. They don't cost $3000 and they will drastically reduce headache. Source a printer after you get your first one and understand it better. If I were looking for a kit or to source parts myself I'd personally look into Mendelmax, Rostock, Prusa I2 or I3, and Mendel90.
January 27, 2013 07:41PM
Most of you really aren't that helpful. Still don't have a parts list.

Thanks to xclusive585 for almost describing a parts list.

Nobodies looking for handouts. But you fail to realize, that MY TIME is NOT FREE either.

I've spent more money out so far in the form of time, reading useless information than what i'm told the parts cost.

Claim's that you have no problem finding a parts list, or that you so smart you have no experience, or that you think anyone wants something from you for free is the whole point. If you have a web site with a parts list, then why are you refusing to post it?

And at this point, I'm thinking that you are all such a bunch of arrogant ass holes that it would just be easier dealing with someone who doesn't have problems communicating.

-
January 27, 2013 07:53PM
Dude I'm done being nice.

The prusa Mendel page on the reprap wiki has a FULL BILL OF MATERIALS

WHAT IS YOUR ISSUE?

[reprap.org]
January 27, 2013 08:29PM
Dan,

If you want a parts list you need to provide what machine and what version you want to build.

Prusa i1, i2 or i3?

A Prusa i2 is a very good starter machine, which is fairly easy to assemble and get up and running so long as you have all the parts on hand. Hate to say this, but a kit is probably the most economical way to get the parts for this machine. Self-sourcing each part is a good lesson if you're planning on getting into the hobby in a serious way, but if you just want to print out some mustaches or other objects off of thingiverse then a kit could be your path of least resistance. BTW, I don't sell kits and I'm not affiliated with any kit producer.

So what is your ultimate goal with a 3D printer? Knowing your output requirements would go a long way in steering you in the right direction.

As for the widespread alternatives...

A Prusa i3 is a superior machine, but is not widely available as of yet.
A Mendel90 is probably one of the best machines on the market, is relatively inexpensive to build and is a superior machine (maybe the best machine).
A MendelMax 1.5 is a high-quality machine and is widely available. MendelMax 2.0 is still in beta, but looks very good.
A Rostock is the sexy new kid on the block (delta vs cartesian), but probably isn't a good choice for your first machine.

Then, of course, there are the closed-source machines. But we do not speak of them here as they are evolutionary dead-ends.

And don't take this the wrong way, but...

Dan H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobodies looking for handouts. But you fail to
> realize, that MY TIME is NOT FREE either.

We don't really care about how much money you make or how long it takes you to do something.

This isn't a business, it's a creative community. Good luck demanding anything from us. smiling smiley

As a community we have no interest in presenting information in a pretty, easily digestible package - that's the job of people who want to monetize the information here. The other issue is that this reprap is in a constant state of flux - documentation is outdated the moment it is published. We tend to innovate first and document later, or more commonly never as we're on to the next issue.

That's not to say that the information isn't out there. Sure, it may be tough to find - hell I find new stuff all the time on the wiki - but it is out there, somewhere. And use the forums as a resource - there is a ton of information in our heads and 99% of the time we can point you in the right direction.

Just remember, there is no stupid question here.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
January 27, 2013 09:44PM

So what is your ultimate goal with a 3D printer?

Using it.

As far as a BOM is concerned.. There is no simple link.

For example The mendel90 page, which i did find indicates that the BOM has to be created, Using OpenScad. Of course going to openscad, another open source site, you have to download the source, and compile it.

So you cant actually do anything related to the goals of the "RepRap Movement". Instead you have to be a Software Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, an Electrical Engineer. And waste countless hours repeating work that has already been done.

Your movement is going no where because of this. The countless number of people who post, in forums and on wiki's, who love talking more than technical data are only making things worse.

Thanks for your post.

Its clearly more costly than purchasing a professional quality 3d printer, which actually comes with a warantee.

Cheers,

Dan -
January 27, 2013 09:55PM
Dan H Wrote:

>
> Its clearly more costly than purchasing a
> professional quality 3d printer, which actually
> comes with a warantee.

i would like to see somone honestly say that 12months after purchasing an up!

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

January 27, 2013 10:01PM
Wow.... Point him at a page with a full bill of materials for prusa v2, and he says he can't find a BOM

Wow.

And here's the BOM for a mendel 90. And I'm not a hardware software electrical or any kind of engineer. I'm just not a pompous fool who apparently can't read simple instructions.

Vitamins:
          E                                                      
          x                                                      
          t                                                      
          r                                                      
          u                                                      
          d                                                      
          e                                                      
          r                                                      

c  E                          X                        
          o  x                                                   
          n  t                 S        c                        
    E     n  r                 p        a                        
    l     e  u                 o     X  r           Y            
    e     c  d           P     o        r                        
    c  E  t  e           r     l     c  i           c            
 B  t  x  i  r     H  M  i           a  a  X  X     a  Y  Y     Z
 e  r  t  o        o  a  n     h  X  r  g        Y  r        Z   
 d  o  r  n  m  F  t  c  t     o     r  e  i  m     r  i  m     m
    n  u     o  r     h        l  a  i     d  o  a  i  d  o  a  o
 f  i  d  p  t  a  e  i  b  P  d  x  a  f  l  t  x  a  l  t  x  t
 a  c  e  c  o  m  n  n  e  s  e  i  g  a  e  o  i  g  e  o  i  o
 n  s  r  b  r  e  d  e  d  u  r  s  e  n  r  r  s  e  r  r  s  r
  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Acrylic sheet 471mm x 422mm x 10mm
  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Acrylic sheet 165mm x 389mm x 6mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 Acrylic sheet 217mm x 217mm x 6mm
  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Acrylic sheet 471mm x 389mm x 6mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 THS15 Aluminium clad resistor 10R
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 THS15 Aluminium clad resistor 4R7
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 5|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  5 Aluminium foil tape 50mm x 227mm x 0.05mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 PSU e.g. ALPINE500
  |  | 3|  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  7 Ball bearing 608 8mm x 22mm x 7mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  4 Ball bearing 624 4mm x 13mm x 5mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 19mm bulldog clip
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 PCB bed 214mm x 214mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  1 Belt T5 x 6mm x 655mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Belt T5 x 6mm x 870mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Corrugated cardboard 193mm x 217mm x 6mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  6 M3 cap screw x 10mm
  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 M3 cap screw x 12mm
  |  | 3|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4| 4|14|  |  | 2| 2| 29 M3 cap screw x 16mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  | 2|  | 2|  |  |  | 8| 13 M3 cap screw x 20mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 M3 cap screw x 25mm
  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 M3 cap screw x 45mm
 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 M4 cap screw x 20mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  5 M4 cap screw x 30mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 M4 cap screw x 45mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 M8 cap screw x 30mm
  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 15 way D PCB mount plug
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 15 way D IDC socket
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Fan 60mm x 15mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Foam sponge 20mm x 20mm x 20mm
  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  | 1|  |  |  3 M3 grub screw x 6mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Glass sheet 214mm x 202mm x 2mm
  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 JHead MK5 hot end
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 Hex male / female pillar M3 x 20mm
  |  | 3|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  3 M3 hex screw x 10mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2| 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  6 M3 hex screw x 16mm
  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 M4 hex screw x 20mm
  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 M4 hex screw x 50mm
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 M8 hex screw x 60mm, hobbed at 25
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 IEC mains lead
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 3|  | 2| 2|  | 3|  |  |  |  | 10 LM8UU linear bearing
  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Melzi electronics
  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 2 way Molex KK header
  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 3 way Molex KK header
  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  | 1|  | 2|  5 NEMA17 x 47.5mm stepper motor
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  2 Brass nut M8
  |  | 3|  | 3|  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  | 1|  |  |  | 1|  |  |  9 Nut M3
  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Nut M4
  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Nut M8
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  | 2| 8| 4|16|  |  | 2|10| 46 Nyloc nut M3
 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4| 1|  |  |  | 1|  |  |  | 10 Nyloc nut M4
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 Nyloc nut M8
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Nitrile O-ring 2.5mm x 1.6mm
  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Extruder connection PCB
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 PLA sample 0.3mm ~20m
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Polypropylene strip 402mm x 18mm x 0.5mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Polypropylene strip 476mm x 25mm x 0.5mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Polypropylene strip 271mm x 33mm x 0.5mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 M2.5 pan screw x 12mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 3|  |  |  | 4|  | 8| 15 M3 pan screw x 8mm
  |  |  |  |  |28|  |  |  | 4| 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4| 4| 42 M4 pan screw x 12mm
  |  |  |  |  |11|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 8|  | 1| 4|  |  | 24 M4 pan screw x 16mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 6-32 pan screw x 9.5mm
  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4| 2|  |  |  | 2|  | 10 No2 pan wood screw x 13mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Ribbon cable 20 way 1240mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Ribbon cable 26 way 381mm
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Smooth rod 8mm x 22mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  1 Smooth rod 8mm x 271mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  2 Smooth rod 8mm x 340mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Smooth rod 8mm x 385mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  1 Smooth rod 8mm x 418mm
  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Micro SD card
  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Micro SD to USB adapter
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1| 1|  |  |  | 1|  |  3 Microswitch
  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Spring 7mm OD, 1mm gauge x 10mm long
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  2 Threaded rod M8 x 275mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Heatshrink sleeving ID 10mm x 15mm
  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 PTFE sleeving OD 1.2mm ID 0.71mm x 62mm
  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 Heatshrink sleeving ID 1.6mm x 15mm
  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 PTFE sleeving OD 2.6mm ID 2mm x 45mm
  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  | 2| 3|  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  | 11 Heatshrink sleeving ID 2.4mm x 15mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 5|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  5 Heatshrink sleeving ID 3.2mm x 15mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 PTFE tubing OD 4.6mm ID 3.84mm x 750mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  2 PVC aquarium tubing OD 6mm ID 4mm x 16mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Heatshrink sleeving ID 6.4mm x 15mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Heatshrink sleeving ID 6.4mm x 30mm
  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Heatshrink sleeving ID 6.4mm x 60mm
  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 4 way terminal block
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Epcos B57861S104F40 100K 1% thermistor
  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 USB A to Mini B lead
  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4| 2|  |  |  | 2|  | 10 Washer M2.5 x 5.9mm x 0.5mm
  | 4| 3|  | 2|  |  |  | 4|  |  |  | 4|  | 2|13| 4|22|  | 4| 2|18| 82 Washer M3 x 7mm x 0.5mm
 4|  | 3|  |  |39|  |  |  | 6| 2|  |  | 4| 2|  | 8|  | 5| 4| 4| 4| 85 Washer M4 x 9mm x 0.8mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  4 Washer M5 x 20mm x 1.4mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 8|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  8 Washer M8 x 17mm x 1.6mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 Washer M8 x 30mm x 1.5mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Wingnut M4
  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 Red wire 16/0.2 length 170mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Black wire 32/0.2 length 635mm
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Red wire 32/0.2 length 620mm
  | 4| 6|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 3|  |  |  | 4|  | 8| 25 Star washer M3 x 0.5mm
  |  |  |  |  |39|  |  |  | 6| 2|  |  |  |  |  | 8|  | 1| 4| 4| 4| 68 Star washer M4 x 0.8mm
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 Star washer M8 x 1.6mm
  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  | 2|  |  | 3|  |  |  |  | 3|  |  |  |  |  9 Ziptie 100mm min length

Printed:
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 atx_long_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 atx_short_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 cable_clip_AB.stl
  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 cable_clip_AD.stl
  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 cable_clip_CA.stl
  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 d_motor_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 d_motor_bracket_lid.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 d_shell.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 d_shell_lid.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 dust_filter.stl
 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 fan_guard.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 feed_tube_connector.stl
  |  |  |  |  |10|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 10 fixing_block.stl
  | 4|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  4 pcb_spacer.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  | 1|  |  |  2 pulley.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_14_33.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_14_33NB.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_20_33.stl
  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_20_44.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_26_33.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_26_33N.stl
  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 ribbon_clamp_26_44.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 spool_bracket_female.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  2 spool_bracket_male.stl
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 wades_big_gear.stl
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 wades_block.stl
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 wades_gear_spacer.stl
  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 wades_idler_block.stl
  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 wades_small_gear.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_belt_clamp.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_belt_grip.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_belt_tensioner.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_carriage.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_carriage_fan_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_carriage_fan_duct.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_idler_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  1 x_motor_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 3|  |  |  |  |  |  3 y_bar_clamp.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  |  1 y_bar_clamp_switch.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 3|  |  |  |  |  3 y_bearing_mount.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 y_belt_anchor.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 y_belt_anchor_toothed.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 y_belt_clip.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  |  1 y_belt_clip_toothed.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  |  1 y_idler_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  |  |  1 y_motor_bracket.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  2 z_bar_clamp.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 4|  4 z_coupling.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  1 z_motor_bracket_lhs.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 1|  1 z_motor_bracket_rhs.stl
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 2|  |  2 z_screw_pointer.stl

Sub-assemblies:
  1 bed_fan_assembly
  1 electronics_assembly
  1 extruder_assembly
  1 extruder_connection_pcb_assembly
  1 extruder_motor_assembly
  1 frame_assembly
  1 hot_end_assembly
  1 machine_assembly
  1 print_bed_assembly
  1 psu_assembly
  1 spool_holder_assembly
  1 x_axis_assembly
  1 x_carriage_assembly
  1 x_carriage_fan_assembly
  1 x_idler_assembly
  1 x_motor_assembly
  1 y_axis_assembly
  1 y_carriage_assembly
  1 y_idler_assembly
  1 y_motor_assembly
  1 z_axis_assembly
  2 z_motor_assemblies

Friggin guy. In the mendel90 github there is a text file called "bom.txt" in the "mendel" folder.
This is the last hand-holding you're getting from me.

And if you want a complete kit Mendel90, what do you need a BOM for anyways???? Nophead (who designed the 90) sells complete kits. COMPLETE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 10:05PM by xclusive585.
January 27, 2013 10:19PM

So you cant actually do anything related to the goals of the "RepRap Movement". Instead you have to be a Software Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, an Electrical Engineer. And waste countless hours repeating work that has already been done.

Dan, this right here is the money quote.

If you are interested in RepRap, you need to have all of those skill sets. RepRap is for people interested in DEVELOPING 3d printers AND using them.

If you are just interested in using a 3d printer like an appliance, go buy a pre-built, pre-configured machine from any number of very well established businesses (such as this one [www.lulzbot.com]) and stop being upset that a community of developers is not catering to your every desire.
January 28, 2013 03:53AM
Exactly. RepRap is intensely DIY and multi-disciplinary, and everyone IS in a room talking at the same time. We all have different ideas. I'd be stunned to find two functioning RepRaps identical in every detail. If you buy a J-Head you get some parts in a bag, no one tells you exactly how to bend the wires around, insulate the leads, where to wrap the tape, etc. You're expected to have an excellent idea of how things work, and make hundreds of informed decisions while building one of these machines.

The original poster has stumbled into a cooking classes' kitchen, sat waiting, and demanded to see the manager because no one has brought him a menu yet.
January 28, 2013 04:34AM
Dan H Wrote:
> So what is your ultimate goal with a 3D printer?
>
> Using it.
>

Then, since your time is too valuable to do any research, buy a commercial one.

> For example The mendel90 page, which i did find
> indicates that the BOM has to be created, Using
> OpenScad. Of course going to openscad, another
> open source site, you have to download the source,
> and compile it.
>

Thats not what open source means. The source is available for those who want to improve the program or compile it for a new platform, but the windows installer and other binary distributions are right there on the page for those who just want to use it. Just scroll down a bit. You'll likely need openScad sooner or later no matter what printer you use, since many designs are distributed in .scad format.

> So you cant actually do anything related to the
> goals of the "RepRap Movement". Instead you have
> to be a Software Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, an
> Electrical Engineer. And waste countless hours
> repeating work that has already been done.
>

Well, this is a project devoted to the development of open hardware. You're going to need a wide skillset to pull this off. That said, most children over the age of 12 could build a reprap, given motivation and enough money. You don't need to be any sort of engineer to assemble an existing design and install existing software.

> Your movement is going no where because of this.
> The countless number of people who post, in forums
> and on wiki's, who love talking more than
> technical data are only making things worse.
>

Our movement is doing just fine, thanks. Nobody ever claimed this was for everyone. Your time is too valuable to do the basic research, I really doubt you'd be able to justify the hours in assembling and tuning a printer. Go buy a commercial machine that can meet your needs.
January 28, 2013 10:49AM
Dan H Wrote:
> So what is your ultimate goal with a 3D printer?
>
> Using it.

*sigh*

Using it for what? Printing large things or small? High or low detail? What trade-offs are you willing to accept in the speed vs quality area?

>
> As far as a BOM is concerned.. There is no simple
> link.

Again, buy a kit, especially for a Prusa i2 - all the thinking has been done for you and they're only a little more than self-sourcing.

> For example The mendel90 page, which i did find
> indicates that the BOM has to be created, Using
> OpenScad. Of course going to openscad, another
> open source site, you have to download the source,
> and compile it.

nophead sells full kits at very reasonable prices. Best to get one from the guy who designed it after all.

> So you cant actually do anything related to the
> goals of the "RepRap Movement". Instead you have
> to be a Software Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, an
> Electrical Engineer. And waste countless hours
> repeating work that has already been done.

No. No you don't. I am none of those things and I've happily been part of the project for a while now - printing things for people, developing new components to suit end-users needs and modifying existing designs to improve them. My contributions are small and affect only a few, but I'm doing what I can to move the project forward. The currency of the reprap project is contribution and support. Some can do more than others, but we work toward a common goal.

The top two tiers of Maslow's hierarchy illustrates RepRap fairly well.

I started out with zero applicable skills - I have a degree in economics (which really goes a long way in preparing you to build a reprap). But I taught myself how to build a reprap, the electronics necessary and the software. And I've become a fairly proficient 3D modeler along the way.

What I'm saying is that I've taken the time to invest in myself. That investment has paid dividends by providing the capability to give back to the project and community. I have been able to bend this technology to my purposes as well, and in having done so created utility.

> Your movement is going no where because of this.
> The countless number of people who post, in forums
> and on wiki's, who love talking more than
> technical data are only making things worse.

Actually, the wiki is kind of like a gatekeeper - it helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

> Thanks for your post.

You're welcome.

> Its clearly more costly than purchasing a
> professional quality 3d printer, which actually
> comes with a warantee.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan -

Well, you can build a reprap for a fraction of the cost of a "professional quality 3D printer", and get quite good results.

Maybe you just don't have the patience or grit necessary to get into this project.

There is no instant gratification here.

Seriously examine your motivations and expectations. Maybe you should temper them by taking a look at the output of these machines close-up. Hold the output of a reprap in your hands then weigh it against your expectations. Also consider this - getting a reprap up and running isn't a trivial matter either. If you can honestly say that you're excited by the prospect of spending a weekend calibrating a reprap to get an accuracy of 0.01mm, then maybe the project is for you. But if that sounds like a tedious, painful process full of frustration then maybe this isn't for you.

I just get the feeling you won't be happy with anything - many people with more money than time usually aren't.

I suspect that you are but the first in a long line of interested people who have been bitten by the 3D printing bug, only to find out that there isn't some auto-magical tool that makes it super-easy and cheap to get your hands on one.

Good luck.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login