Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is PLA or ABS considered pet safe?

Posted by 3ddude 
Is PLA or ABS considered pet safe?
February 01, 2013 08:01AM
Hi all, I was wondering if PLA or ABS would be safe to use in direct contact with pets. I have an idea to make a hamster wheel more efficient but I don't think I'd be too popular if it chewed the plastic and died! eye popping smiley

Any thoughts?
Re: Is PLA or ABS considered pet safe?
February 01, 2013 08:19AM
I don't think either is especially dangerous, and I don't see any risk with the animal being in proximity to either material. But if the hamster has access to chew on parts, I wouldn't recommend just for the fact that bits might get stuck in its digestive system (and possible toxicity)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 08:22AM by konwiddak.
February 01, 2013 08:46AM
I think the danger would be that compared to injection molded plastic, 3d printed parts might break into spikier parts when chewed. If you try it, I'd try and make sure your layers bond really well.
VDX
February 01, 2013 09:07AM
... some pets (especially hamsters) are known to 'bite' in every part they can reach ... simply to wear down their constantly growing teeth ...

So you should use a really 'food-safe' and/or edible material winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 05, 2013 04:09PM
Thanks for the help!

Pretty much unanimous then. I'll leave it alone until I think of a different method in that case thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login