Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA outdoors survival ?

Posted by Enlightx 
PLA outdoors survival ?
September 29, 2012 09:37AM
Any one have any experience with PLA lasting the outdoors ?

need to print a reducer for my guttering downpipe and wondering if PLA will be up to the job
Re: PLA outdoors survival ?
September 29, 2012 11:02AM
No direct experience, but check this out (page 200):
[jimluntllc.com]

(among other things)

UV resistance. Unlike other synthetic fibers, PLA does not absorb light in
the visible region of the spectrum; this leads to very low strength loss
compared to petroleum-based fibers when exposed to ultraviolet light.
September 29, 2012 03:03PM
well adapter is designed and printed now lol

will have to see how its holding up in a years time
September 29, 2012 05:40PM
The glass transition temp at 55°C (131° F) would be a problem outside if the sun warms it too much. I had several objects warp because they were sitting on the front seat of my car on a day that peaked at only 32°C (90 °F). The parts were in direct sunlight for a couple of hours with the windows closed.

This would especially be a problem if it has some force acting on it that would deform it more readily.
October 31, 2012 08:03AM
Enlightx, how is your part holding up? I need a special y-corrector for my down spout and was thinking about printing it.
October 31, 2012 03:02PM
What about a hybrid approach? Print a slightly smaller ABS part then glue PLA to the outside. Or get really fancy if you have dual extruders and print the whole thing at once. Maybe the ABS would provide some strength and hold the PLA in its shape even if it softens, and the PLA would provide a UV resistant coating to the ABS.

No idea if this would work at all though.
October 31, 2012 04:59PM
I have been using PLA brackets as part of a mounting system for my motorcycle side bags for 4 months or so. They have been exposed to rain, road debris, vibration, and heat over 4000+ miles with no issues. These parts are load bearing. About the only thing they have not been exposed to is direct sunlight (they are under the tail section).
February 07, 2013 02:40AM
What if one were to coat the PLA part with UV resistant paint? I don't know if paint will stick, because I'm such a newbie to this world of 3D printing.
VDX
February 07, 2013 02:46AM
... PLA-filament could be blended with TiO2 or other UV-shielding/absorbing pigments, so it would survive long time UV-exposure even without painting ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login