Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d printing kit recommendations

Posted by kenshinjeff 
3d printing kit recommendations
February 04, 2013 11:17PM
I've been wanting to get into 3D printing for a few weeks already, and I'm looking at kits.

My objective is to learn how a reprap works, be able to calibrate and easily upgrade the electronics/parts for better prints. (My idea of upgrading is to perhaps make a more stable base, replace rods, replace belts, add enclosures, change nozzles and stuff).

Ideally the kit ought to be within the 600 - 1000ish usd range for a complete kit not inclusive of shipping. My preference is quality parts and support over price.

1. I read that the current most popular/reasonably up to date reprap is a prusa mendel iteration 2, is that correct?
2. What are the popular/recommended kits that fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advanced!
Re: 3d printing kit recommendations
February 05, 2013 12:22AM
I'm a fan of MakerFarm. But they don't include the threaded & smooth rods.
February 05, 2013 01:04AM
I recommend the Mendel90 by Nophead. It comes with great instructions, able to produce quality prints, has solid frame design, and is pretty popular after the prusa i2s. I actually don't have a Mendel90 myself but I've built my reprap based on it because I like the design compared to the popular triangle frame printers. Nophead sells the kits for 500pounds/ 800 USD so it is within your range.

Nophead's blog

availability check
February 05, 2013 02:05AM
@anode505: Yeah, that was one of my first shortlisted kits too, I'll see if I can get any locally.
@akenvim: That looks really good. I was thinking of using laser cut structures after I get used to my first reprap tho.

Does anyone have any experience with Makergear, Makerfarm, Reprappro or Printrbot?
February 05, 2013 03:42AM
+1 for Mendel90

People here suggested me to buy it, some 25 days ago, and I am really satisfied. Solid and well designed machine. By the time I finished building it (and after a mysterious setback, my fault) I was able to print. Excellent price as well. It comes with everything you need to start printing. The support and communication is great as well. I had some questions before and after I bought it and responses were quick, to the point and most of all friendly.
February 05, 2013 05:21PM
I got a Prusa Mendel from Makergear and I recommend. High quality parts, smart extruder design and good technical support.

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
February 07, 2013 05:54AM
Another +1 for Mendel90.

I'm really impressed by the kit, and the instructions are just great.
And on top of this, a really really great support and communication.
I'm more than happy I bought one of these, and every one else who have one seems to be as happy too =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login