Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder issues

Posted by littlebutterfly 
Extruder issues
February 07, 2013 11:47AM
Two quick questions for those who have more experience than me.... Note, my 3D printer came pre-built, so I'm a little leery of taking it apart to troubleshoot if I don't have to.

1-Does the diameter of extruded filament (not laid down onto build plate or anything) directly correlate with the diameter of the extruder nozzle? According to the manufacturer's setup instructions, the extruder has a 0.35mm diameter nozzle, but filaments are consistently coming out at 0.57-0.59mm. I'm wondering if this is also related to incorrect thin-wall thicknesses.

2-When extruding from the second print head, the filament comes out sideways in a very tight spiral. My guess is a partially clogged or asymetrical nozzle, but without dismantling it I can't really get in there to see. Suggestions?
Re: Extruder issues
February 07, 2013 12:32PM
(I'm absolutely totally new to this too, so these are just guesses on my part).
1-the filament coming out wider than the nozzle, my guess would be your feed rate is too fast, or your movement speed is too slow.
2-I've had that happen too, and I found the nozzle to be blocked.
Re: Extruder issues
February 07, 2013 02:45PM
Filament always comes out bigger than the nozzle aperture. It is called die swell and does not affect the volume extruded so should not affect thin wall thickness. When the plastic is laid down it is stretched length ways and squashed height wise. The width is then determined by the volume per unit length and the layer height.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login