Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Printrboard Z Motors fight when homing

Posted by mbcomputerservices 
Marlin Printrboard Z Motors fight when homing
June 05, 2012 01:31AM
I have just completed assembling a reprap prusa (makrfarm linear bearing kit).

I have all axis' moving correctly and homing. However, when I home the z axis (using prontrface), the z motors seem to bind. They vibrate and shudder. When I manually help them to the end switch, they don't offer resistance, but they seem to be having some kind of feedback problem. Adjusting the current? pots next to the z Allegro driver has no effect on this issue.

When the axis reaches the switch, the motors behave perfectly. When I move them with prontrface, they perform flawlessly. Once I send a home command, I suffer my z motor problem.

Should I change the homing feed rate in the firmware? Any ideas to what? I have looked for documentation on this, but it is hard for the finding.

I look forward to being a part of this community, and contributing what I learn.

If the General board is too general for this question, please forgive my newness. My searches for this topic showed results in the general forum...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 01:34AM by mbcomputerservices.
Re: Marlin Printrboard Z Motors fight when homing
June 05, 2012 01:43AM
Using pronterface to move Z via the buttons find a good speed and use it to set the homing feedrate in Marlin.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 05, 2012 12:47PM
I agree with Sublime, this is definitely a homing speed issue. Marlin's default Z homing speed is too high for your Z steppers and they are missing steps. Homing speeds are just below the Steps per Unit, I believe, but I don't have it in front of me.
June 05, 2012 02:59PM
Also, apply a little household machine oil to your Z rods and the Z nuts and cycle them up and down about 50mm to work it in a bit. A little lube really helps and reduces wear and tear on the Z rods especially the threaded ones.

If you want a faster Z axis, you can also change out the Z motors go give larger motors with more torque. Thankfully, the Z axis is the one where the speed of the motors has the least affect on the print time.

Check and make sure that the Z-Steps/mm are right on the Printrboard. You can either fix it in the firmware, or with a M92 command for your start code in your slicing software (put it BEFORE the G28 homing command).
June 05, 2012 03:46PM
Another successfully resolved issue!

I can see now that the motors are skipping steps.
I changed the z homing speed from 4*60 to 3*60, the z axis works great now. Thanks for the tips.

Beekeeper, I will check my steps/mm. Thanks for this important reminder.
June 05, 2012 06:15PM
Beekeeper Wrote:
> Check and make sure that the Z-Steps/mm are right
> on the Printrboard. You can either fix it in the
> firmware, or with a M92 command for your start
> code in your slicing software (put it BEFORE the
> G28 homing command).

M500 will save the current settings to EEPROM.
June 06, 2012 03:01AM
Andrew Smith: Thank you for the advice. I didn't think that the M500 worked.
December 18, 2020 01:36PM
;just a thought run a M119 command and see if all endstop sensors show Closed. I did not see that I had a cable caught between my hotend and the Z endstop sensor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login