Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I wanna get started into 3d printing, can you help me? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by lukemaxwell 
I wanna get started into 3d printing, can you help me? tongue sticking out smiley
February 02, 2013 03:13AM
So, I've been reading and watching videos about 3d printing now for the last week or two and I am completely blown away by the reprap and the idea that it can print its' self over again. However, I have no idea how to start off or where to begin. I've read over countless forum posts and websites.

I was wondering if anyone could print me the pieces for my own reprap. Then, I would in turn, again print the parts for another reprap and continue them on down the chain to someone else wanting to get started.

Once I begin printing objects I would like to print things that are 6" x 6" x 6". Do any of the repraps print this space yet or no?

If you want to help me get started, please message me. I would love to be welcomed into the reprap community with open arms. And, I look forward to learning about 3d printing, printing, and helping the next person on down the line.

ps - I'm also going to talk to my school about starting this as a class (3d printing is the future), although I would really like to walk in with a working 3d printer so I don't look like I'm just making things up. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 03:14AM by lukemaxwell.
Re: I wanna get started into 3d printing, can you help me? tongue sticking out smiley
February 02, 2013 05:48AM
Especially if you want your printer to run in a reasonable time frame you should start with one of the existing designs. Like Prusa Mendel i2, Huxley or Mendel90. The exact type isn't that important, they all print.

For parts, see [reprap.org] . Self sourcing parts is cheaper than buying a kit is cheaper than buying assembled.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: I wanna get started into 3d printing, can you help me? tongue sticking out smiley
February 02, 2013 06:04AM
lukemaxwell
So, I've been reading and watching videos about 3d printing now for the last week or two and I am completely blown away by the reprap and the idea that it can print its' self over again. However, I have no idea how to start off or where to begin. I've read over countless forum posts and websites.

eye rolling smiley Generally the RepRap main page is the best place to start!

The number of choices has expanded exponentially the last year so the more criteria that you say your RepRap must have or must not have helps to reduce the choices.

lukemaxwell
I was wondering if anyone could print me the pieces for my own reprap. Then, I would in turn, again print the parts for another reprap and continue them on down the chain to someone else wanting to get started.

I'm sure a bunch of people would be willing to print the RP parts for you BUT first you need to know what model you want to build and specifying where you are located is usually a good start. There are usually RepRappers not too far away or maybe even a Hackerspace.

lukemaxwell
Once I begin printing objects I would like to print things that are 6" x 6" x 6". Do any of the repraps print this space yet or no?

6" = 152.4mm

The majority of RepRap models have build areas of 150mm x 150mm or 200mm x 200mm!

The build height you want is a little tougher, some RepRaps only have a build height of 100mm to 125mm but there are a large number out there that have build heights of 150mm or more! And many of the RepRaps are easily scalable, e.g. nophead's Mendel90 has a 200mm x 200mm x 200mm build area but you can simply get the OpenSCAD source files and specify something larger (not needed in your case) compile and you have your new parts lists.

lukemaxwell
If you want to help me get started, please message me. I would love to be welcomed into the reprap community with open arms. And, I look forward to learning about 3d printing, printing, and helping the next person on down the line.

confused smiley A forum is public, sending messages/emails is for private stuff and many others have the same questions. If you are too lazy to come back to this forum topic to see any answers posted then building a 3d printer is NOT FOR YOU!!

lukemaxwell
ps - I'm also going to talk to my school about starting this as a class (3d printing is the future), although I would really like to walk in with a working 3d printer so I don't look like I'm just making things up. Thanks.

A good place to start is to specify your budget. You don't mention your age but you sound as if you are very young (15 or 16). This usually (but not always) means that you don't have a lot of extra cash and price is a major factor.

Unless you have a bunch of old printers and electronics laying around you are going to have to buy your stepper motors and electronics.

Current popular models are:

1. the Prusa Mendel
2. nophead's Mendel90
3. the Mendel MAX V1.5

the Rostock delta and Rostock MAX are also interesting but not yet main stream.

For your specified build area (and an assumed low-budget) I think the Mendel90 might be a good choice for you but I am sure a lot of others have their opinions as to what model you should build.

Welcome and Good Luck!!!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 02, 2013 08:01PM
rhmorrison
A forum is public, sending messages/emails is for private stuff and many others have the same questions. If you are too lazy to come back to this forum topic to see any answers posted then building a 3d printer is NOT FOR YOU!!
I was simply stating that If anyone could provide me with such copied parts, then I would like them to contact me via PM. Transferring actual parts via the mail system would require physical addresses to be shared, and I figured they would not want to discuss it on an open forum.

rhmorrison
A good place to start is to specify your budget. You don't mention your age but you sound as if you are very young (15 or 16). This usually (but not always) means that you don't have a lot of extra cash and price is a major factor.
My budget is very versatile. I'm typically a more cheap person but I feel like if I buy used parts they may go out on me after a little bit.
I have followers who want to see me flourish and like the idea of 3d printing and some of them will be donating money for me to make a printer and print them things so I'll need a reliable machine that I'm not always having to fix.

I'm 19 years old and live in the united states. Living in the boring corn state of Indiana.

I know that I'll be printing at least daily on the printer but love the idea that repraps can print the parts to be self sustainable and also to essentially reproduce another machine (minus the motors, boards, and rods). That's why I was reaching out to RepRap forum to see if anyone wanted to pass it on. After watching the video on the main page of the RepRap wiki, I got the feeling that this was a huge "pass it on" movement to keep RepRap alive and thriving.

xJared
February 03, 2013 07:05AM
Wow, Indiana, listed on the RepRap World Map is only Ben Varghese and he apparently has just graduated and in California...

So if price is not the primary factor then you have to decide what your primary purpose in building the printer is. If it is to print then you would definately be better served buying one of the full kits (or even assembled printers). If you want to understand everything about the printer and learn something then a kit is still a viable option but you might want get the parts yourself. I like BOTH the Mendel MAX and some of its derivatives as well as nophead's Mendel90 (I built an original Sells Mendel).

The advantage in nopheads design is it's scalability and the fact that the main structural pieces you can easily make yourself.
Since his default design is 200mm x 200mm x 200mm it meets your build area criteria.

If you don't like his design I would go to one of the Mendel Max variants that has the build height that you want! Using the aluminum extrusion provides a very sturdy frame and also looks nice.

It is tough to give you any more advice without knowing what your goals and desires are...

There are many, many people here that are willing to answer your questions and help you along (as well as printing the RP parts that you need).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 03, 2013 10:15AM
rhmorrison
If it is to print then you would definately be better served buying one of the full kits (or even assembled printers). If you want to understand everything about the printer and learn something then a kit is still a viable option but you might want get the parts yourself.

I would like to essentially be able to do them both however I am fine with tinkering around with something for a while, even if I don't see results right away. My mind is completely blown away by the fact that something could be created layer by layer and formed into a final product.

My first goal with my printer, once I get it functional and printing, would be to print the parts needed to build another printer just alike it and eventually get about 2 or 3 others just like it printing various things out. My hopes would be that two of them could print parts for others and the other two would be used to print personal gadgets and what not.

rhmorrison
I like BOTH the Mendel MAX and some of its derivatives as well as nophead's Mendel90 (I built an original Sells Mendel)

After looking over both the models, I would have to say I really do like nophead's better because the Mendel MAX doesn't appear to be self-sustaining at all. The thing I really love about the repraps is the fact that they are in a way, self-sustaining and that you can print off the parts needed to fix them and produce other 3d printers (minus the electronics and metal of course).

Here's what I am basically looking for in a 3d printer:
- Be able to semi-reproduce its' self (printing of necessary plastic parts)
- Decent size printing space or expandable
- Preferably under $700usd ( ~ $500usd is ideal)
- Better print quality (I read somewhere that the repraps could print .1mm, not sure if they could all do that)

A kit would probably be best to start off with, that way I can understand how they go together and function (I have watched numerous video tutorials on how each individual part works and I think I at least have a basic understanding). Plus, after I've assembled my first printer and have pieces printing off, I can then spend time figuring out where to source the future pieces needed to make the next repraps.

Thank you for your help so far and for replying back to me quickly. I hope to one day be able to be just like you and answer someone elses questions and take them under my wing. We all have to start somewhere. smiling smiley

xJared
February 03, 2013 10:35AM
By the way, I have an old Windows XP power source. I saw someone else use an old computer power source for their 3d printer. Do you think mine would work or do I need something else? I've attached a pictured.

xJared
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-02-03 10.jpg (603.4 KB)
February 03, 2013 10:58AM
How much "ass" does that PSU have? Anything less than 300W might not be worth it. sad smiley

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
February 03, 2013 11:08AM
I recommend a kit from RepRap Pro. After doing one kit, you will have a much better knowledge for "scratch building" repraps. Plus you will have a printer on hand to help you do it.
February 03, 2013 12:06PM
Where to buy a reliable kit from? All the websites I found looked as though they were just some guy putting them together in his house or some 3rd party company from some small country selling their shit
February 03, 2013 12:52PM
@Luke, you could visit Makerfarm

I've been very happy with my purchases from them so far.
February 03, 2013 01:04PM
+1 for makerfarm. Got my first machine from them.

- akhlut

February 03, 2013 02:24PM
Hey don't mean to snag the thread, but have you purchased filament from MakerFarm Akhlut, and if so, are you satisfied with the quality?

I'm finally starting my build after months of delays, and I have yet to decide on a first purchase distributor for the plastic.
February 03, 2013 09:48PM
I'm a little bit skeptical about that site. It looks like the person is just in it for the money and doesn't offer that many choices when it comes to different machines. I assume this would have it's advantages and disadvantages.

After searching around on the forum, I guess his V2 Linear Prusa is the same as the Mendel Prusa iteration 2? Or is the V2 Linear Prusa his own creation/setup. I want to be able to reprint my printer once I have it and make other ones.

Also, he lists his motor set at $70usd. I've heard that you can get used ones on ebay for a couple bucks each.

He also has the options to take the parts out of the kit and that saves you 71usd.

So, basically I could buy the stepper motors online, have the parts sourced to me, and just buy the electronics and what not from him?

xJared
- Just trying to make sense of it all -
February 03, 2013 10:26PM
lukemaxwell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a little bit skeptical about that site. It
> looks like the person is just in it for the money
> and doesn't offer that many choices when it comes
> to different machines. I assume this would have
> it's advantages and disadvantages.
>
> After searching around on the forum, I guess his
> V2 Linear Prusa is the same as the Mendel Prusa
> iteration 2? Or is the V2 Linear Prusa his own
> creation/setup. I want to be able to reprint my
> printer once I have it and make other ones.
>
> Also, he lists his motor set at $70usd. I've heard
> that you can get used ones on ebay for a couple
> bucks each.
>
> He also has the options to take the parts out of
> the kit and that saves you 71usd.
>
> So, basically I could buy the stepper motors
> online, have the parts sourced to me, and just buy
> the electronics and what not from him?
>
> xJared
> - Just trying to make sense of it all -

I am kind of at the same point you are with trying to make heads or tails of it all. I was looking at makerfarm as well however I feel that the reason he does not offer as many varieties as others is hes found a couple machines that work for him and his customers. I have not placed a order from him yet however I have not seen anything but positive comments over various locations online and i found a pretty detailed youtube video from a guy that documented a complete build of the prusa v2.

if price is a concern you could go used on the motors however just keep in mind that not all nema 17's are the same and that you need ones with the proper holding torque. I have been looking on ebay for used motors for past 2 days and honestly the cheapest Ive found for 5 nema 17's is around 39-50 usd the 39 price range is used and the 50+ is new from china which is fine if you don't mind waiting a month for them.

I think there may be some differences between the i2 and the v2 however im not sure
February 04, 2013 11:02AM
xiando Wrote:
> Hey don't mean to snag the thread, but have you
> purchased filament from MakerFarm Akhlut, and if
> so, are you satisfied with the quality?

Xiando,

I haven't. Not for lack of trying though.

I was in the market for filament the other day, so I decided to shop around and not just go straight to ultimachine as I usually do.

What I found was that there are some deals on filament out there. Pretty good discounts on 3mm filament compared to ultimachine. But then the shoe dropped. I buy 5 lb reels, so shipping should be comparable across vendors, but each alternative vendor decided to gouge on shipping.

Pretty disappointing.

So back to ultimachine I went as their total cost was the lowest. I've been really happy with the quality of their filament. Can't recommend them enough.

I've been hankering to try out some ABS from repraper.com though. Shipping is a killer from them - I think the sweet spot is right around 3 or 4 rolls - but I just don't feel like experimenting with $100 of plastic of unknown quality. Maybe others can speak to this.

@luke @tattoo

i2 = v2

let me give you a bit of advice. If you must skimp on something then you should. But you should consider that once you've built your first machine you'll get the hankering to build another, especially with the proliferation of machines out there today. You should consider that what you buy now will probably be "upcycled" into a more advanced machine in the future.

But assuming that you don't buy a kit and self-source the parts (involves a lot of cutting, so don't go this route if you don't have the tools or access to the tools you'll need)

Places to skimp on a Prusa v2/i2:
Belting - GT2 is nice, but cheaper belts will work just fine.
Pulleys - machined pulleys are preferable, but printed ones will get you through.
Threaded rods - go with the cheapest you can find, regardless of finish, Mcmaster part # 98861A080
Smooth rods - Some tool steel should be fine, Mcmaster part # 88625K67, no need for chromed rods
Electronics - get a RAMPS setup from ebay. I think they're around $100 or so. username is reprapdiscount.
And get all your M8 and M3 at mcmaster - cheapest place around. And get everything all at once so shipping doesn't swallow your budget.

Places not to skimp on a Prusa v2/i2:
Printed Parts - get parts printed in ABS, not PLA. And ask how many solid layers and perimeters the parts have. More is better.
Hotend - get a j-head from hotends.com, not a clone
hobbed bolt - I've got a preference for the hyena bolt, but a manufactured bolt will make your life much easier (hobbing a bolt at home is much harder than it looks, and you'll mess up a few times - which in the end costs more than a manufactured bolt).
stepper motors - I take the long view on these. Buy the best that you can afford. Sparkfun has a 0.9 degree motor that is just about perfect for a reprap. But if you cant do 5 @ $17 then go with the ebay steppers - just make sure they're in spec for holding torque as tattooedfish points out.

But before you buy ANYTHING you should price compare the kit against self-sourcing. Make sure you add shipping in to give you a true picture of the costs. You may find that the MakerFarm kit is the way to go.

- akhlut

February 04, 2013 11:03AM
Luke, if you want each part at the lowest possible price, you'll need to do your research and source from multiple vendors. I purchased my motors from two different suppliers on ebay, the bulk of my hardware (what the dim call "vitamins") from two industrial supply houses, plus a few components from ebay (different sources than those motors) various electronics bits from four different electronics houses (Digikey and Mouser were two), my glass from a local hardware outfit, aluminum from a somewhat local metal shop, etc., and my controller, belts, pulleys, hot-end, and several other pieces parts from MakerFarm.

My plastic components were printed by a friend, and my power supplies I already had in my inventory. And I have not yet ordered filament.
February 04, 2013 08:28PM
akhlut Wrote:
> xiando Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

snipped...

> I've been hankering to try out some ABS from
> repraper.com though. Shipping is a killer from
> them - I think the sweet spot is right around 3 or
> 4 rolls - but I just don't feel like experimenting
> with $100 of plastic of unknown quality. Maybe
> others can speak to this.
>

I really don't understand why repraper.com refuses to put the option of China post airmail on their checkout which is obviously much cheaper for us than Fedex etc. Making up for the cheap filament price maybe?? Who knows, but its the reason I don't buy from them as much as I'd like to try. They probably would if you asked, but why not just put the option on the website?
Additive manufacturing or 3D printing is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model. 3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes. 3D printing is considered distinct from traditional machining techniques, which mostly rely on the removal of material by methods such as cutting or drilling (subtractive processes). 3D Printers Features Here also.,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login