Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual extruder delta printers

Posted by RHCranked 
Dual extruder delta printers
March 12, 2013 03:11PM
Hi, I'm fairly new to 3d printing. We have a Replicator 2 at work and it's working well for us. The problem we are having is with part geometry and support structures. So I have two areas of concern if we are going to get a second printer that prints ABS.

The parts we print tend to be long cylindrical parts, about 12" long 2"-4" diameter. So a delta seems to be the right type of printer for us. Is there any pre-assembled delta printers with dual heads available yet? As it is for work, I don't want to spend a lot of time setting up and figuring out the printer, I just want it to print. The Rostock does not come pre-assembled and the Deltamaker is only a single head. The spiderbot is not tall enough.

I also want to be able to print the parts as they are designed, so I plan on using the second head for soluble support material. Is there a reliable system for this yet? It seems Makerbot makes a water soluble material. I have found that PLA will dissolve in a solution. I do have access to an ultrasonic tank.

I've looked into the uPrint printers, and it is hard to justify the big price tag for similar quatlity prints, that still doesn't have a big enough build volume. The only real benefit is their support removal systems. The Objet24 might be another option, but it has high operating costs and the material is not as durable as ABS.

I would really appreciate any help and advice you guys have to offer. Thanks.
Re: Dual extruder delta printers
March 13, 2013 05:54AM
Kisslicer makes excellent easy to remove support on a single head machine. It's at least worth trying before you fork out for a new printer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 05:55AM by konwiddak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login