Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis missing steps

Posted by hendo420 
X axis missing steps
April 04, 2013 02:34PM
On large print jobs my printer will hop to the right at about the middle of the print. Once it hops over it seems to keep doing it every few layers.

I have put a belt tensioner on the X axis belt which made it nice and tight. I adjusted the pot but it was still doing it. In trying to overcome the problem I noticed that the stepper motor was getting too hot to touch. So I dialed the pot down until it wasn't hot when printing.

It doesn't seem to do it on shorter prints (under a few hours) But anything over 3 or 4 hours and it jumps. Could the stepper motor be getting hot and causing it to lose steps? I just glued a small heatsink to it, I'm hoping this will have some effect.

It rly sux to get 3 or 4 hours into a print only to look over to find the printer has screwed up the print. -.-

I'm getting a ton of use out of the northbridge heatsinks off of the old motherboards I had siting in my closet. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 02:35PM by hendo420.
Re: X axis missing steps
April 04, 2013 07:24PM
which electronics setup are you using?

which ever it is, it sounds like your steppers aren't getting enough current, or you maybe experiencing something called resonance, can you post a photo of a failed print,.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

April 04, 2013 10:12PM
I have a printrboard Rev D

April 04, 2013 11:04PM
reduce your travel speed. travel speed at some angles needs to be slower. the only moves that can run at really fast speeds are infill which usually is at a 45deg angle and involves both motors on x y for the speed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login