Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A tale of two Yoda's, and Bad filament

Posted by Entropy 
A tale of two Yoda's, and Bad filament
June 08, 2012 10:18AM
So I have apparently been blessed with a bad role of filament. I've been thinking there was a problem with my printer since I couldn't get a decent print out of this spool of white ABS. The finish on everything was horrible, almost like a completely new uncalibrated RepRap. Not being able to resolve the issue after attempting to fix every other possibility, I switched out the filament to another white ABS. Problem Solved!

Take a look at the difference:

Bad White Filament Yoda

Good White Filament Yoda

Both printed on the same printer, same day, same settings. Nothing changed but the ABS itself.

The Bad spool seems consistent in diameter, not sure what the issue is. Any thoughts?

(I know its a little tough to see any defects on the "good" yoda, but trust me, it looks 100 times better than the "bad" one.)
If the diameter is consistent then it may be moisture in the plastic. Or just poor plastic quality, perhaps it was made with regrind or recycled plastic.

You could try drying the plastic with gentle heat and see if the print quality improves. Some people use their oven, but you need to make sure it can hold a stable temp at the low end of its range.

If the plastic quality is bad there's no way to tell for sure without doing a melt index / flow analysis. Which is probably outside the capabilities of most hobbiests.
Re: A tale of two Yoda's, and Bad filament
June 08, 2012 10:46AM
For the $40 I spent on the spool, I'll just suck it up and remember not to buy from this place again.
June 08, 2012 10:56AM
Try printing the "bad" white "ABS" with settings for good white PLA.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody messed up the label on a spool...

www.Fablicator.com
June 08, 2012 11:05AM
I can try that, but it definitely smells like ABS not PLA.
June 08, 2012 11:11AM
And where, praytell, did this bad plastic come from? I'd like to know so I don't order from there.

Thanks!

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
June 08, 2012 11:17AM
I'd prefer not to say anything as of yet. I sent them an email explaining the situation. So lets see how they handle it before I throw the name out there. I have ordered from them many times before without issue. As a matter of fact the "good" ABS came from the same place.
June 08, 2012 11:25AM
I have a roll of white PLA with the same issue, it spits and blobs a lot, printing uneven lines. Leaving it in an airtight container with a moisture absorbing egg for 6 months made it a lot better, though still not perfect.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 08, 2012 01:24PM
Fair enough. I had a similar problem with some white ABS (oddly). Extruded fine for a while, then couldn't get it to extrude consistently. PITA.

- akhlut

June 08, 2012 07:30PM
i found with my black filament there was a chain of air bubbles in the filament running along the centre what was happening was the gas expands and makes your flow rate inconsistant
June 08, 2012 07:45PM
I'll try cutting it open and checking that out.
June 12, 2012 10:20AM
So the seller has decided not to respond to my complaints regarding the bad filament. I bought the spool off of eBay from eBay user 3d-printer-supply eBay User Page.

I have ordered from them before without issue, but I won't be ordering from them again.
June 12, 2012 10:21AM
And it turns out the problem is air bubbles inside the filament. I cut it open to find tiny little bubbles through out it.
June 13, 2012 12:49AM
I think I bought the same stuff, but off of their website - 3dprinterstuff.com

I just split open the filament and took some pictures. It looks like tree rings.

Guess I won't be using this filament or supplier again...

- akhlut

Attachments:
open | download - 20120613_0001.JPG (87.8 KB)
open | download - 20120613_0002.JPG (14.6 KB)
June 13, 2012 08:29AM
That's exactly how my filament looks. I just don't have a camera or the skills to take pics like that.
June 13, 2012 08:43AM
Little electronic microscope. I love the damn thing!

- akhlut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login